News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: 1960 Rebuilt Engine Break ...
Last post by Clewisiii - Today at 02:51:57 PM
I used a meter to monitor RPMs during the breakin. It took me a minute. I thought the meter was on a wrong setting because of how quiet the engine was at 2000 rpm. I was wrong. It was just quiet.

IMG_20231209_151023467.jpg
For Sale - Cars / Re: Craigslist - 59 Flattop se...
Last post by Big Fins - Today at 02:49:50 PM
It's just the 'cool' factor about the car.

Sorta like a 1976 Fleetwood Talisman in Code 90.  8)
Last post by Clewisiii - Today at 02:46:47 PM

I am still happy with this after my CAM breakin. It took me months of looking at it and thinking about everything that needed to be in place and happen to be able to start it.
Technical / Authenticity / 1930 LaSalle - Correct convert...
Last post by 35075 - Today at 02:46:15 PM
Does anyone know of a source for Laidlaw Burbank 016 top material? This was the material used up until the early 1930s for Cadillac and LaSalle convertible tops.
Last post by Clewisiii - Today at 02:36:24 PM
The CAM break in is 30 minutes. Then the ring break in is about 500 miles.

I talked to engine builders who said they use regular oil for that 30 minutes to not waste money. Then use breakin oil for the next 500 miles for ring break in. I used breakin oil for both.

I did my 30 minute break in with breakin oil. You want to really sling the oil around to get it up on the CAM and other areas that might not be oiled well when just idling. I was over 2000 then reving for short stints periodically.

It took me a few start attempts before I could do the 30 minutes breakin. I had to adjust the distributor after several start attempts. After the first two minutes of running I had a coolant leak so I had to stop and fix that before I could start again.

When I started to do the full cam breakin run I saw that my trans coolant line was leaking. Only minor so I decided to keep going. I had someone playing with the carb a little bit but it was thankfully pre adjusted by the carb rebuilders.

Everything on mine was new. Which also means everything was untested. I don't know if that is better or worse.

I have not started my engine again after the cam breakin. I hope to get the body on the frame this fall. Then the vehicle "Driveable" by end of next summer. I cannot do the ring breakin until after paint. The paint shop wants to be able to move the car under it's own power when they have it. Even though it will never be on the road.

For Sale - Cars / Re: Craigslist - 59 Flattop se...
Last post by 2011DTS - Today at 02:35:44 PM
Big Fins,
Don't kick yourself. Mom had a 57 T-bird she traded for a 59 convertible, which got traded for a 63 split window Corvette, which became to small and got traded for a Chevelke SS396, that started to rust and was traded for a 68 Charger 440. That was the last new car she had before she passed in 1970 and my oldest sister sold it for $1,000 while mom was in the hospital. Moral of the story, enjoy them when you have them and don't look in the rear view mirror.
I just purchased a nice set of trailing arm bushings for my 59.  How difficult are they to install?  Mine seem fine as is however they're over 65 years old.
Last post by Lexi - Today at 12:30:51 PM
Concur with TJ. I would also go with a break in oil for the initial start up. Then change. Can't recall if the change is recommended immediately following start up or within the first 100 miles. Think the break in oil has more zddp in it and perhaps a different ratio of other chemistry such as detergents etc. Too much zinc is harmful for your engine so follow all guidelines closely. Clay/Lexi
General Discussion / Elvis' Cadillacs.
Last post by jwwseville60 - Today at 12:01:25 PM
This is a great channel to watch all about The King's Caddies.
Of all the celebs who loved them, Elvis did the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kit_KF5F76Y
Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 11:22:11 AM
It depends on the parts used in the build.  Did you select all the parts and build it?  If not ask the builder which process and oil to use.  There are 2 areas of concern, the cam if the lifters and or the cam was replaced and then the rings. The initial higher rpm part is usually for the cam but you have to also pay attention to the rings too.

The process for older style rings vs more modern ones can be quite different.  The ring manufactures should have a info page that said things like what gaps to use, what cylinder finish, and what sort of break in process and oil to use.