News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac at International Auto Show

Started by Rhino 21150, February 04, 2005, 10:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porter 21919

I dont think any of us are used to the styling just yet, nor do some of us want to accept it. At least not us old time purists of the big luxury Cadillac machine. Very aggressive styling, almost a mean look, at least it is distinctive and different than the competition.

The test drive is the key, and public acceptance of the product quality and performance, the ultimate judge will be sales, which we all would like to see high for our chosen marquee.

I really wouldnt be surprised if the new generation of Cadillac aimed squarely at the competition can beat them at their own game as far as performance, quality, function and value are concerned, the styling is over the top, for sure !

Seems to me the styling is setting the future tone for quite somw time.

Give us the big classic RWD luxury car and then we will all be happy.

In the meantime we can restore our old huge classic Cadillacs and wax nostalgic for the good old days.

LOL,

Porter

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Porter,

I am afraid that Cadillac, or any other manufacturer, will ever go back to the excesses of the 502, 60s and 70s, or the plainess of the 80s.

Gone are the days of curvy, sexy, lines and masses of old fashioned Chrome that glistens in the son light

The old days of identifying a new car from two miles away, in traffic, are long gone.

We are just going to have to save as many of the "old" cars as we can.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Porter 21919

When all is said and done an auto is a human transport device built for profit by the manufacturer.

You have low,medium & high cost cars to fit the means of the consumer.

To complicate matters further we no longer have just cars (and pickup trucks, formerly used by contractors), we have minivans, SUVs, crossover vehicles, you name it.

Even station wagons are making a comeback, go figure.

I still think if you forget the styling pizzaz and build a good durable functional long lasting vehicle you will kill the competition, then again it probably wouldnt sell, the public wants flashy styling. Even hurt the repair industry, heaven forbid, a car that has been engineered to be repaired easily.
Probably hurt new car sales too, we have mega global manufacturing overcapacity.

My Chevy Van suits me fine, form follows function and rugged durable quality. Fourteen years old and 150k mileage to boot, they are still waiting for me to buy a new one. Some better rustproofing would have been nice on their part.

Porter

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Porter,

You said "Even station wagons are making a comeback, go figure."

Hey, Station Wagons havent ever left Australia.   They are a big seller here, and always will be.

But, then, everyone forgets about us down here, which is the way it should be.   We dont want people coming over and thinking about staying.   Come and visit, but, before you return, we have machines at the airports that make you forget that you had a really good time, and therefore wont mention the good times to friends and acquaintences.

We even make sure that the Mainlanders have a topsy turvy trip back home and get seasick on the ferry.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Johnny

Quote from: Bruce Reynolds # 18992Porter,

I am afraid that Cadillac, or any other manufacturer, will ever go back to the excesses of the 502, 60s and 70s, or the plainess of the 80s.

Gone are the days of curvy, sexy, lines and masses of old fashioned Chrome that glistens in the son light

The old days of identifying a new car from two miles away, in traffic, are long gone.

We are just going to have to save as many of the "old" cars as we can.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Yes all that is gone, its part of what is called "moving ahead in life"

Michael Stamps 19507

But it is so much more fun to look back and drive a classic Cadillac.  I enjoy knowing that Im not going to see another car like mine every other block unlike the great masses.

Stampie

Porter 21919

But you will be a celebrity. Only practical in dry geographical areas without excessive moisture or the winter salt crap.

I hear many people saying a big car is cumbersome what with parking, etc. The parking lots are designed for smaller cars.

Then again we drive our cars, parking in a tight spot is not the objective.

Take it slow, bigger is better, high fuel costs can be a problem.

More time will be spent with maintenance by you or the garage.

For some of us the joy is in the repair/restoration not the actual driving. But they will drive perfect when done, even if driven sparingly.

Porter

Johnnyu

Quote from: Michael Stamps 19507But it is so much more fun to look back and drive a classic Cadillac.  I enjoy knowing that Im not going to see another car like mine every other block unlike the great masses.

Stampie

Ill drink to that!!!!!!

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17963

I agree with Stampie.  Driving an old, luxurious Cadillac is far more fun than anything of today.  It just feels right.
Others feel differently and that is OK.  Thank god there is room for everyone here.  Besides we are not here to please everyone, just ourselves and others who enjoy the hobby.  :)

Steve Crum 20999

The XLR is sharp looking, The sts-v and cts-v look like a Cadillac-Nisson alliance. Say Pooter dont that sts grill look suspiciously like a chunk of old hammermill screen all chromed up?

Mike #19861

I have heard that so often and for so long. Big cars are cumbersome and clumsy.

This as they climb into their even more cumbersome and clumsy SUVs. And, they go on about fuel economy on these big cars. But you never hear them mention their embarrassing fuel economy numbers of these grotesquely overweight SUVs and pickups.

Mike

Lou 19058

"But you never hear them mention their embarrassing fuel economy numbers of these grotesquely overweight SUVs and pickups. Mike"...... Some of us dont like to brag :) My 8000 lbs pick up get 20MPH!! Diesel power:)).. Regards,Lou

Steve Crum 20999

Sure is fun BEING a classic everyday. Just something about us old farts that still intimidates the young crowd. I tend to think that they think we may know something they dont? The twenty somethings and yuppies like their flouresent wiper blades and monster SUVs but ever notice how they give a classic car or a rusty 4 wheel drive a wide berth? Respect isnt dead, its earned by carrying an aura of being unstable at best and this is reinforced by driving a huge not your everyday 5,500 pound chunk of steel. Heck a 10 mile per hour collision would equate to a repair bill on one of these big tough SUVs that would have nearly bought that old classic new. Although you might need to refer to the modified board about dealing with a few dings in the classics bumper. Ive noticed people tend to cast a scornful eye on even my old 92 Eldo. This is especially funny when I pull in to the gas station for my weekly 20 bucks worth, and watch as they get their weekly 100 bucks worth + their monthly 800 bucks payment worth plus... So I tend to believe like anything else everyone eventually achieves their own level of peace. If not, e-mail Dr. Pooter for his perscription for happiness. lol

Steve Crum 20999

Quote from: Lou 19058"But you never hear them mention their embarrassing fuel economy numbers of these grotesquely overweight SUVs and pickups. Mike"...... Some of us dont like to brag :) My 8000 lbs pick up get 20MPH!! Diesel power:)).. Regards,Lou

Lou, Driving an 8000 pound pickup is cool, but do you use this as the horse it was designed to be? Or do you drive it to be "cool", Like everybody else drives one, and I want to be another sheep following the herd? This no doubt is what sets the classics apart. (and drives the shepard and the herd crazy).

Lou

"Lou, Driving an 8000 pound pickup is cool, but do you use this as the horse it was designed to be? Or do you drive it to be "cool", Like everybody else drives one, and I want to be another sheep following the herd? This no doubt is what sets the classics apart. (and drives the shepard and the herd crazy)."......I bought it to tow my Caddy around :)    

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

The trouble with driving an old car in the traffic these days is that when one drives a car with drum brakes, one tends to leave a "Stopping" gap between the car in front, and then some S**t in a disc braked buzz box has to slot into the "Hole".   And, on it goes.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Mike #19861

Well then if you get 20 MPG in an 8000 lb behemouth, then we would get 35 mpg in a 4500 lb Cadillac if it were diesel powered. That is if it were a contemporay state of the art diesel.

Is it any wonder that fully 1/2 of all BMWs and MBs sold in Europe are diesel powered?

Mike

Rhino 21150

20MPH? Was that a Freudian Slip? Just kidding!

densie

I think youre right.  The carmakers have managed to accomplish something that I never would have thought possible...technology that makes mroe expensive cars look and feel like cheap cars.

-densie