News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1941 Club Coupe trunk supports

Started by GBrown #8092, November 10, 2023, 08:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBrown #8092

Mine gave up the ghost out of the blue. Any advice as to how to trouble shoot them?

Glenn

Tom Boehm

What happened to them?  Did the little catch that holds them extended stop working?

GBrown #8092

That appears to be the case. I thought it had the little stops, but don't recall actually ever seeing them. The struts just stopped holding up the trunk. I have been suggested to WD-40 them and exercise them to see if the start working again. I'll try that the next 40 degree plus day we get.

In the alternative: I realize this is blasphemous but has anyone tried to adapted modern gas strut to a series 61 trunk? 

Glenn

Tom Boehm

If the trunk lid won't stay up that means the catch is stuck by dirt and rust inside the telescopic support. Try WD-40 first. If that doesn't work soak it in Evapo rust to dissolve the rust inside.

GBrown #8092

Thanks Tom. It's supposed to warm up here later this week, I'll go out to the garage and see, If I can free them up.

Glenn