News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Series 63 Front Shocks

Started by J. Russo, April 17, 2024, 08:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

Hello All,

I made another discovery today with my front shocks. I had the rear shocks rebuilt last year.

I checked my Master Chassis Parts List (up to 1942) and the front shocks for series 63 are 1946G and 1946H.

The front shocks that are on my Series 63 are 1947A and 1947B. They are listed for Models from 1937-39.

Has anyone heard of the 1947A/B shocks being interchangeable on 1941 Series Cadillacs?

Thank you
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

J. Russo

In case anyone is interested my research resulted in the following.

The 1947A/B front shocks fit several 1937-1939 models and some Buick models.

The 1946G/H front shocks fit most but not all 1941 model Cadillacs.

The bolt holes line up for both shocks so the 1947A/B shocks can fit a 1941 frame.

Where the difference lies is in the arms. The 1947 shock is 1/4 inch longer than the 1946. When used on a 1941 model Cadillac like my Series 63, the arms push the wheel out by 1/4 inch. This could result in irregular tire wear.

What I don't know is if a wheel alignment would correct this.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Jay Friedman

1949 was the last year that Cadillac used front (and back) lever action shocks like the 1947A/B and the 1946G/H.  As J. Russo said, the difference for most years is in the arms.  Between some shocks the arm difference is quite apparent like the one inch difference between these two models.  In some other years the differences are very small and not readily apparent. 

I found this out when some years ago I sent my '49's shocks to a well known rebuilder.  To speed things up they suggested an exchange of my shocks with an already rebuilt pair they had in stock.  After I installed the new pair a local wheel alignment shop could not get the camber to adjust to the correct specifications.  It turned out the arms on the new shocks were slightly different.  I had to remove the rebuilt shocks, send them back and have them rebuild my original shocks which had the correct arms.  As anyone who had done this knows, it's a big job which includes taking apart the front suspension and wrestling with the front coil spring. You don't want to do it unless absolutely necessary so, in my opinon, have your shocks rebuilt, don't exchange them. 

Thankfully, Cadillac introduced modern tubular shocks in 1950. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

J. Russo

Quote from: Jay Friedman on April 18, 2024, 11:37:10 PMAfter I installed the new pair a local wheel alignment shop could not get the camber to adjust to the correct specifications. 

Jay,

Thank you for that reply. In my case I will have to get a mechanic to replace my shocks. I plan on getting the correct (1946) rebuilt shocks from Apple Hydraulics and send in mine (1947) as a core swap if they'll accept them.

Apple rebuilt my rear shocks and I installed those myself. I don't want to take a chance with the large springs in the front.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Jay Friedman

Quote from: J. Russo on April 19, 2024, 01:31:29 PMI don't want to take a chance with the large springs in the front.

John, when doing this job you use a floor jack to support the lower control arm.  You can lessen the hassle as well as the danger of dealing with the front springs by wrapping a chain around the bottom of the floor jack and the frame member above the spring. 

I wrote an article for the Self Starter on changing lever action shocks on a '49 Cadillac some years ago which has all the details. I think the procedure should be pretty much the same on a '41 Series 63. If you like I can email you a copy. Email me at jaysfriedman(AT)yahoo.com and I'll reply with the article.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."