News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Service Manual Body Section error

Started by J. Gomez, March 27, 2020, 06:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Gomez

Anyone with a 1956 Service Manual please see attachment below. 

I notice this critical error under the body Section in Fig 14-157 for the body circuit diagram. The dome light shown for the 6237 has the switch connecting the +12V (red) directly to the black wiring from both the door switches.   :o

I’ve look around the Serviceman for 1956 and found no mention of this error or correction for the diagram not sure if this was caught under the later years Serviceman.

I believe the dome light switch has two function, 1- connects the door switch to light the lamp when either door is open and 2- it connects a ground to the lamp via the switch.

I’m not 100% if this is accurate could someone with a coupe validate. I could make the corrections for this page and posted (if possible) or send a copy of the full page to anyone.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Kurt Kjelgaard

I don’t know much about the -56, but from what I can see from the attached picture it looks like the left roof rail lamp has the same connection/ switch as the dome lamp. The right roof rail lamp is connected the same way but does not show a switch. The picture is blurred, but it looks like there are diodes in series with the switch/lamps (except there is no switch for the right lamp - could be a mistake) Maybe that explains the way they are wired?
Kurt Kjelgaard
1957 7533X Imperial Sedan
CLC #23671

cadman56

I have made two complete wiring harnesses for a 56 coupe.  What I truly believe is the door switches and the headlight switch connect the circuit to ground.  The switches are in  what we call in parallel downstream of the lights and the lights are in series upstream of the switches.  Power to the dome lights is taken from the power circuit to the cigar lighters, hence the dot where the wires cross on the wiring diagram.   
I think the wiring diagram  confuses the issue because it shows lights from different models types in the same diagram.

On a side note, are any of you experience a very slow response on the forum when clicking on the different links?

1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

J. Gomez

Kurt,

Sorry my scan copy came a bit blur on the left side and I had to compress the original down to fit the attachment limitation on the forum.
Quote from: Kurt Kjelgaard on April 02, 2020, 04:30:39 PM
I don’t know much about the -56, but from what I can see from the attached picture it looks like the left roof rail lamp has the same connection/ switch as the dome lamp. The right roof rail lamp is connected the same way but does not show a switch.

The drawing represent the wiring for all the applicable dome lights on each of the models. The one you notice (which I also missed good catch   8) ) are for the 6237D, 6237S and the 6239D which they have one on each side and the switch on the left controls both.

That one is also showing the switch incorrectly at the dome shorting the +12V and the ground from the door switches.

Next on the list to correct, thanks.   ;)

Quote from: Kurt Kjelgaard on April 02, 2020, 04:30:39 PM
The picture is blurred, but it looks like there are diodes in series with the switch/lamps (except there is no switch for the right lamp - could be a mistake) Maybe that explains the way they are wired?

Sorry there are no diodes on any of the wiring on the ’56.  ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

J. Gomez

Larry,

Not sure I understand “headlight switch connect the circuit to ground”  ??? , there is no ground from or to on the headlight switch itself. The main connection at the headlight is +12V to feed all the lights depending on which position is place.

Quote from: cadman56 on April 02, 2020, 05:04:19 PM
Power to the dome lights is taken from the power circuit to the cigar lighters, hence the dot where the wires cross on the wiring diagram.   

Correct the “dot” represent an electrical connection at the line while an open-line (on older drawings) or a bridge (in newer drawings) represent there is no connection across the two lines.

The main +12V for the dome light and the cigarette lighter in this drawing is feed by the main +12V body feed which is always hot. 

I think the wiring diagram  confuses the issue because it shows lights from different models types in the same diagram.

I do agree it will be confusing to anyone new trying to read and understand an electrical diagram since as you point out it shows all the wiring scenarios for all models.   ;)

On a side note, are any of you experience a very slow response on the forum when clicking on the different links?

Not from my side.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

cadman56

I have spare headlight switches.  I will have to look at them again.  I have always understood all the switches completed the grounds for the lights.  I could've been wrong there  sure don;t know it all.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

J. Gomez

Quote from: cadman56 on April 02, 2020, 07:47:38 PM
sure don;t know it all.

Larry,

Same here  ;)

Here is the diagram for the headlight switch the "red" battery is switched across the switch to the other terminals. The only one that is not part of the switch function is the "orange" this one is feed directly from the "red" via the CB at the headlight switch for the break and map light(s). 

HTH
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Saturnin15

Does the map light suppsed to lite when you open the doors or it’s supposed to lite only with the switch?
Sedan Deville 1956

Roger Zimmermann

The map light is coming on when opening a front door.

I have always understood all the switches completed the grounds for the lights.  I could've been wrong there  sure don;t know it all.

In fact, the "other" end of the lamp(s) is connected to the ground. the switch is just closing the positive circuit.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101