News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Speedometer drive gear for 1981 Turbo HydraMatic

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, October 01, 2015, 10:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I was having problems with my speedometer on my 1981 Seville V-6 and thought it was in the dash box unit. Lo and behold, my mechanic called yesterday morning and said that the drive gear had been broken. So, I spent the morning trying to find replacements. Every one seemed to be delighted to tell me that the gears were no longer available.
After lunch, I went down and picked the old parts up and found that they are molded in color. Mine is a twenty nine tooth in green. I was able to match one up from TCI in Mississippi. It even matches the # in my Master Parts Book. The larger driven gear is also green but is no longer available, so I very carefully trimmed any burrs from the gears and smoothed them with a nail file. So, hopefully this part will still hold up.
The # on this transmission is THM 325. Last weekend I used the speedometer on my Garmin when I went to the Fall Festival. Luckily the car did not have to move to pick up a first in Primary.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville