News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Zinc additive

Started by gkhashem, January 20, 2018, 02:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: gkhashem on January 28, 2018, 01:13:36 PM
Dan that is a great price. Is the weight OK?

I usually use 10W-30.

For the 1970 engine, the 15W-40 weight is acceptable for summer operating temperatures according to the owner's manual.  I've never tried it in a 390.  I used 10W-30 with a bottle of Cam Shield added.  It would probably work just fine.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Cape Cod Fleetwood

<-  Was told by my mechanic (alky funny car crew) Lucas Hot Rod Oil has the highest amount of zinc
already mixed in. Somehow that's important when your car is hitting 3500hp and has a larger engine than
a top fuel or fuel funny car. What do I know, its what I'll use too.
Laurie!

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Jim Miller

For the older cars do any of you use Classic Car Motor Oil made by D-A Lubricants? supposed to have the proper levels of zinc and additives. Been using it in my '41.
Jim Miller
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

fishnjim

Couple points;
* -The early engines (pre '61) did not have oil filters or used partial filtration and may have used non-detergent oils and that's why you had to clean out the "pan".  (A design based on cheap oil)   
* - One of the SAE articles says that about 10% of the zinc is lost during the maintenance period. (that's what kills the catalytic convertor)   So the engine only needs enough to coat the surfaces and allow for the loss.   Anything extra is waste.   There are other materials that do the same thing.    It's not just simply going back to what they had in the old days.   It's adapting to today.   I know that's difficult for the average owner with all the marketing hype and reliance on word of mouth...
* - The T4 Rotella is formulated for diesel engines.   
ps:   We're only stewards, no mortal owns anything in the long run.

jmscan06

To verify the amount of zinc that is in your oil you can have your oil analyzed.  I use Blackstone Laboratories.   The report that they provide gives you the amount of zinc in your oil in parts per million.

John Scanlan
CLC #28099