News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'60 tire valve stem diameter

Started by David Greenburg, January 06, 2014, 03:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

I need to replace my valve stems; the ones installed with my new tires are too short to allow checking/adding air without the use of extensions or removing the wheelcovers.  Valve stems are available for  either .453" diameter or .625" diameter wheel openings.  I know Corvettes used the larger diameter  until 1963; perhaps that is true for Cadillac as well.  Does anyone know?   
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Grant Owen

The part number I use when ordering the correct Valve Stems here in New Zealand is 425 , not sure if your part numbers would be the same.

David Greenburg

Thanks.  The numbers are universal, and 425 is one of the ones I was looking at when I realized that in addition to length, the correct diameter is  an issue.  I don't have the data in front of me, but I believe #425 corresponds to a 2" long .625" diameter stem.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

C.R. Patton II

Hello David

Important topic for discussion. Which company did you order the valve stems from? Thanks for sharing.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Grant Owen

Attached a couple of pictures of the 425 Valve Stems I use.

David Greenburg

Chuck:

I haven't gotten them yet, but I'll probably just pick them up locally; once you know the size you want I think they are pretty easy to find.  One of those things where the shipping could exceed the cost of the parts.

Grant:

Thanks for the photos.  The 425's look about right.   
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville