News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

First tire blowout - ever!

Started by lorenzo2013, April 15, 2024, 04:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lorenzo2013

Restored the car in late 2017 early 2018, but kept the tires it had on when I bought it.

Car sits for a few weeks at a time between drives.  I had just (an hour earlier) checked the tire pressure.  Noticed the car shaking at speed, but I only had a few miles to go, so stayed on back roads and at ~45mph.  At one point I went a little over, and the car started shaking VIOLENTLY - immediately I pressed the brakes, and the tires blew.  Pulled into a driveway, and the tire is completely destroyed.  Don't think I've ever seen a tire blow like this.  See photos and video.

One thing I realized too was the rolling jack that I had wasn't able to get under the bottom of the A Arm to jack the car up.  Had to use a few pieces of wood and pull the car onto it.  I had tested that the jack had clearance, but only when the car's tires are good and it's sitting level.  With a complete blowout, there wasn't enough clearance.  Then I also learned the jack wasn't able to get it high enough to get the new (spare) tire on.  Complete disaster.  Was able to do it using a bottle jack, then a block of wood under the other jack -- not safe, but was able to manage it with help.

The hubcap, when it came off, GOUGED the side of the car - all the way to the metal - ouch - so going to have to get that fixed too.  In the video I uploaded on this post, you can see the gouge on the front drivers door :(

Two questions:
1) What are you all using as a jack for your cars? (This is a 59 coupe deville by the way).  I looked at the original jacks, but they're going for $1200 on Ebay - there's got to be a more cost effective way.  I have a trunk full of tools, extra oil, water, battery jump starter and other parts to repair on the road - i need a reliable jack that works when the car is sitting on a rim - goes low enough to go under the A arm or somewhere, and also high enough to get a replacement tire on.  I believe the original jack used the BUMPER (!!) to lift the car?

2) What replacement tires do you suggest?  Been looking at Coker radial 2.5" (maybe 3"??) white-walls.  I need to replace all 4 tires

Clewisiii

I had old tires blow on my car trailer in my back yard one summer when it was just sitting there. We were in the shop and heard a loud bang. Thought a neighbor shot a gun close by. Then another went an hour later. Just sitting in the yard the age and the summer sun did them in.

Many say you cannot lift this car properly without the original jack. But with how much I spent on my bumpers I do not think I will ever use mine. I would rather call a tow truck and have him lift it.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

TJ Hopland

How old were they?  Look for the date code its stamped in a rectangle or oval. Could be on both sides or just one.  4 digits after 2000. First two are the week number 2nd 2 are the last 2 of the year so 2020 would be 20th week of 2020.  If its 3 digits then its pre 2000,  first two are still week but the last one is the last of the year.  When they came up with that they apparently never thought there was a chance of tires being around for more than 10 years.  It seems like the 90's was when they invented the 7 year tire lifespan and they mean it.  I have had 70's and 80's tires recently that seemed to still be holding together better than a 10 year old tires.

Something to think about with jacks.  I too have tested what I'm using but like you with full tires not a flat on the rim one.  There are low profile floor jacks that still have a pretty good range but they are practically not usable on anything other than a nice concrete surface and they take up a lot of space.  Maybe 2 jacks is the answer?   I'm using a jack from the 80's its like the 70's bumper jacks in their mechanism but it lays horizontal and is sort of a scissors mechanism.  It goes pretty flat and has a decent lift range.  No idea where you would get one other than a junkyard that still has 80's cars. 

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dn010

Definitely looks like those tires are aged past their date. Rule is supposed to be replace every 7 years. Some don't follow especially when the tire looks just fine. When I had my car going daily in the later 2000s, I ran tires that had to be on from the 70s - thank God nothing blew out but I credit tires made better back then. I finally did replace them. Only blowout I had was the spare from a 1950 Buick, tubed tire, still loud but thankfully that only happened while I was maneuvering around the yard. If you get the low profile jack, it's always good to carry a length of plywood to put it on under the car otherwise they like to sink into the ground.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Carfreak

Glad no further damage to your car; its beautiful.

If you aren't worried about judging points and being 100% factory correct, check out Diamondback Tires.  They sell radials and they will cut the white wall width to your preference. When we took a detour to stop by their location during a CLC Driving Tour, they had a black 59 CDV of their own parked in the warehouse. 

If you sign up for Diamondback's emails they will often send a pricing code for $50 off a set of four tires. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: lorenzo2013 on April 15, 2024, 04:29:58 PM1) What are you all using as a jack for your cars? (This is a 59 coupe deville by the way).  I looked at the original jacks, but they're going for $1200 on Ebay - there's got to be a more cost effective way.  I have a trunk full of tools, extra oil, water, battery jump starter and other parts to repair on the road - i need a reliable jack that works when the car is sitting on a rim - goes low enough to go under the A arm or somewhere, and also high enough to get a replacement tire on.  I believe the original jack used the BUMPER (!!) to lift the car?   
I use the original jack that was supplied with the vehicle.   Nothing wrong with the Bumper Jack as they were used when the cars were brand new, and when used properly, didn't damage the chrome.

When using the bumper jack on my '60 CDV, yes, the bumper bar did flex, but never hit the bodywork.

A lot of the problems come when people rebuild their cars, and try to close up the clearances, especially at the front and back where the Bumpers meet the body.

One thing to remember when using the Bumper Jacks is not to try and lift too fast, or drop too fast, as the faster you go, the more the car bounces and therefore the possibility of bumper to body touching.   Plus, placement of the foot is very important as if too far back, then the top of the jack can lean too far forward when the car is up.

If you are worried about the possibility of scratching at the lifting point, then glue a thin piece of rubber insertion to the hook.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   If changing the rear tyre on a '59 or '60 (or a car with Skirts) the Bumper Jack HAS to be used to get sufficient height and clearance for the removal and replacement.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

lorenzo2013

Quote from: dn010 on April 15, 2024, 07:43:23 PMDefinitely looks like those tires are aged past their date. Rule is supposed to be replace every 7 years. Some don't follow especially when the tire looks just fine. When I had my car going daily in the later 2000s, I ran tires that had to be on from the 70s - thank God nothing blew out but I credit tires made better back then. I finally did replace them. Only blowout I had was the spare from a 1950 Buick, tubed tire, still loud but thankfully that only happened while I was maneuvering around the yard. If you get the low profile jack, it's always good to carry a length of plywood to put it on under the car otherwise they like to sink into the ground.

Quote from: TJ Hopland on April 15, 2024, 07:31:52 PMHow old were they?  Look for the date code its stamped in a rectangle or oval. Could be on both sides or just one.  4 digits after 2000. First two are the week number 2nd 2 are the last 2 of the year so 2020 would be 20th week of 2020.  If its 3 digits then its pre 2000,  first two are still week but the last one is the last of the year.  When they came up with that they apparently never thought there was a chance of tires being around for more than 10 years.  It seems like the 90's was when they invented the 7 year tire lifespan and they mean it.  I have had 70's and 80's tires recently that seemed to still be holding together better than a 10 year old tires.

Something to think about with jacks.  I too have tested what I'm using but like you with full tires not a flat on the rim one.  There are low profile floor jacks that still have a pretty good range but they are practically not usable on anything other than a nice concrete surface and they take up a lot of space.  Maybe 2 jacks is the answer?   I'm using a jack from the 80's its like the 70's bumper jacks in their mechanism but it lays horizontal and is sort of a scissors mechanism.  It goes pretty flat and has a decent lift range.  No idea where you would get one other than a junkyard that still has 80's cars. 

I have to check on the tire date.  I can guarantee they're at least 7 years old.  The tires are one of those things I don't really keep track of, as the car drives MAYBE 25 miles a year, if that.  I'll have to start considering them, or figuring out another solution to keep the tires in good shape even when the car's sitting (pumping up to 40psi or something)

If I'd had a rear tire blowout, I would have been completely out of luck.  I might have to start traveling with 2 jacks for scenarios like that.

On the jack you're using - could you send a picture of the type you're referring to please?  Would love to know what it looks like.  I need to put a more fool-proof plan in place.  Carrying 2 jacks is fine - there's enough trunk space in these cars to fit 4 or 5 bodies, so an extra jack is no problem

lorenzo2013

Quote from: Carfreak on April 15, 2024, 08:25:34 PMGlad no further damage to your car; its beautiful.

If you aren't worried about judging points and being 100% factory correct, check out Diamondback Tires.  They sell radials and they will cut the white wall width to your preference. When we took a detour to stop by their location during a CLC Driving Tour, they had a black 59 CDV of their own parked in the warehouse. 

If you sign up for Diamondback's emails they will often send a pricing code for $50 off a set of four tires. 

Thanks!  Lots of blood, sweat, tears, and (the part that isn't mentioned often) - money :/

I'm not trying to go for judging points - I have made 'improvements' to the car to make it SAFER.  For the most part, short of someone that knows these cars inside and out, no one would be able to tell the difference.  Things like a dual piston master cylinder instead of a single, relays under the dash for all the high-current items, like headlights, etc.  Externally the car looks completely original.

lorenzo2013

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 15, 2024, 09:03:06 PMI use the original jack that was supplied with the vehicle.   Nothing wrong with the Bumper Jack as they were used when the cars were brand new, and when used properly, didn't damage the chrome.

When using the bumper jack on my '60 CDV, yes, the bumper bar did flex, but never hit the bodywork.

A lot of the problems come when people rebuild their cars, and try to close up the clearances, especially at the front and back where the Bumpers meet the body.

One thing to remember when using the Bumper Jacks is not to try and lift too fast, or drop too fast, as the faster you go, the more the car bounces and therefore the possibility of bumper to body touching.   Plus, placement of the foot is very important as if too far back, then the top of the jack can lean too far forward when the car is up.

If you are worried about the possibility of scratching at the lifting point, then glue a thin piece of rubber insertion to the hook.

PS.   If changing the rear tyre on a '59 or '60 (or a car with Skirts) the Bumper Jack HAS to be used to get sufficient height and clearance for the removal and replacement.

If the original jack didn't cost $1200 on Ebay, i wouldn't have even made this forum post haha. 

Not worried about bumper/body tolerances, as when I rebuilt and replaced (completely rechromed) bumpers, they were all done to the same as original

Anyone know if there's another (Read: CHEAPER) alternative from another year, or aftermarket?  Even if I COULD afford $1200 for a jack, I wouldn't spend that on principle.

35-709

"I'll have to start considering them, or figuring out another solution to keep the tires in good shape even when the car's sitting (pumping up to 40psi or something)"

Modern radial tires self-destruct from the inside out, and my understanding is they were designed to do so to help alleviate the junk tire disposal problem.  They are easier to recycle.  Out of the sun, more tire pressure, etc., will do little.  These tires will self destruct mounted and sitting inside your shop/garage or trunk with zero miles on them when their time is up.  Some might go a little further, others less, 7 years is a good number to shoot for - after that replace 'em.   
As Carfreak mentioned, Diamondback is the way to go.  www.dbtires.com

Had the left front radial come apart on an F350 on a two lane road at about 50 MPH.  The failure was so sudden it swerved the truck into the opposite lane before I could get it back.  I was so very lucky it was a country road with no opposite traffic at the time.

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Carfreak

People, especially those on the bottom of the planet, can do whatever they want with their cars but we never use the factory bumper, scissors or wheel hub jacks.

We've owned a lot of Cadillacs and parted out many through the years also. It was either the 1963/64 rear center bumper bar (or maybe 1967/68) that it seemed every one had a slight crease where the factory jack had been used by a previous owner. Don't think it is an issue with 1959 but why risk it?

After paying how much money to rechrome your bumpers, why would any vintage Cadillac owner use the factory jack? The trunk is big enough, bring a small floor or bottle jack and some wood or just make sure your tires are new. 

Are the 1959 factory jacks really going for $1200 these days?  Dang, we've got a shelf full of jacks from the 1950s through 1970s. Dang, maybe we can pay off our mortgage or buy another car.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

lorenzo2013

Quote from: 35-709 on April 15, 2024, 10:07:20 PM
Modern radial tires self-destruct from the inside out, and my understanding is they were designed to do so to help alleviate the junk tire disposal problem.  They are easier to recycle.  Out of the sun, more tire pressure, etc., will do little.  These tires will self destruct mounted and sitting inside your shop/garage or trunk with zero miles on them when their time is up.  Some might go a little further, others less, 7 years is a good number to shoot for - after that replace 'em.   
As Carfreak mentioned, Diamondback is the way to go.  www.dbtires.com

You're way more of a "glass half full" person than me.  If anything, tires with shorter shelf life is going to only add to the junkyard tire problem.  Think about it - every one of those tires that needs replacing - where do you think the old tire goes?  It doesn't self-destruct to the point it doesn't exist - it gets replaced by another tire, and goes to a junkyard. 

Honestly I think it's more likely that it's just poorer quality over the years.   Replacing a tire that has been on a car for 7 years and seen <500 miles seems like a shame, but it is what it is.  If you look at the tire that blew (my first post), the tire still has 80%+ tread left, but yet it was falling apart.

lorenzo2013

Quote from: Carfreak on April 15, 2024, 11:03:14 PMPeople, especially those on the bottom of the planet, can do whatever they want with their cars but we never use the factory bumper, scissors or wheel hub jacks.

We've owned a lot of Cadillacs and parted out many through the years also. It was either the 1963/64 rear center bumper bar (or maybe 1967/68) that it seemed every one had a slight crease where the factory jack had been used by a previous owner. Don't think it is an issue with 1959 but why risk it?

After paying how much money to rechrome your bumpers, why would any vintage Cadillac owner use the factory jack? The trunk is big enough, bring a small floor or bottle jack and some wood or just make sure your tires are new. 

Are the 1959 factory jacks really going for $1200 these days?  Dang, we've got a shelf full of jacks from the 1950s through 1970s. Dang, maybe we can pay off our mortgage or buy another car.

I mean don't get me wrong - I'd prefer NOT to, but the rear tires are hard enough to get out when they're on a lift - i can't imagine how hard it would be when it's sitting on a rim.  and a tow truck?  that's an easy and quick way to get even more damage in my opinion.

I'm going to have to do something more with the jack(s) in the trunk, some more wood, etc.  My concern is a 59 cadillac sitting on a rim on one of the rear tires, there's MAYBE an inch or two of clearance.  Would be hard to get a piece of wood under it to drive onto

Gonna have to test is in the driveway.  At least at this point I have a free rim to play with lol.  i'll see what I can figure out...

lorenzo2013

what did these cars come with standard in terms of white-wall width?  3"?

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: lorenzo2013 on April 15, 2024, 11:14:31 PMI mean don't get me wrong - I'd prefer NOT to, but the rear tires are hard enough to get out when they're on a lift - i can't imagine how hard it would be when it's sitting on a rim.  and a tow truck?  that's an easy and quick way to get even more damage in my opinion.   
Having replaced tyres on cars with the Wheel Spats/Skirts, the only way to get them off the rear axle of the car out on the road is to use the factory jack, as this raises the car sufficiently high enough to get the wheel and tyre off.   Lifting the car square to the ground does not allow the rear end to drop sufficiently, unless you disconnect the shockers to allow the drop.   Good luck with a tow truck as the car still needs to be raised correctly.

One thing you don't want to do is when the car is up on the one side, is to go around the front to see just how low the opposite corner is to the ground.   It is LOW.   And the reason for putting chocks in place.

As I said before, the Factory designed these things to be used by anyone, from the Gentleman in a Tuxedo to a person in Jeans.   You don't have to lay down on the ground and get filthy to operate them, plus, risking life and limb trying to crawl under the car to put various jacks in place, and then operate them under the overhang is not advised.

I wonder if the high price of these jacks on eBay could be because people now realise that they do need them.

PS.   Who has the time to wait hours for a tow truck when one has an operating jack, oh yes, and a spare that is inflated.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Larry Savino

Sorry for your troubles , I have learned to head the warning of a a strong vibration,  I was at a AACA show last year and seen the results on a fellow cadillac owners damage to his car after a trailer tire blew out on his trailer. There is allot of energy built up in those tires that gets released in a blow out especially at speeds.

Again sorry ,

James Landi

Using the "supplied jack" on my 50's Cadillacs 50 years ago ALWAYS left me with the impression that lifting one side of the car by one side of the bumper was a disaster waiting to happen.  On one '56, the bottom of the bumper partially crushed in as the bumper's strength was compromised by rust.  Slipper jacks and bottle jacks, new tires, and good fortune kept me and the old cars going.  I did, one time, have both front rims split at the same time!!! Hard to believe, but true. But that's a possible topic for another day.    James

The Tassie Devil(le)

I keep on forgetting that the dreaded Rust is a problem in most of USA.

Us down here on the other side of the hemisphere don't have that problem, unless you are close to the beaches or shoreline where salt-laden air blows inland.   Nowhere in Australia does any authority put down salt when it snows.   When it snows, heck, they close the roads, unless one is going skiing up in the mountains.

I agree that the Bumper bars and the frames and mounts must be solid for these Bumper Jacks to work as intended.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

jwwseville60

Please dont forget the spare when you order new tires.
It will save your bacon!

I keep a HD rubber wheel chock in my Caddies.
With my metal junkyard parts spine I cannot change a spare anymore.
Its AAA for me.
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

dn010

Just a heads up that most, if not all tire manufacturers these days, do not recommend overinflating the tires during storage.

I have also had to use the bumper jack before on my car (and others I've owned), 0 issue. If I am left stranded and that's all I have, I am going to use it.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean