News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

63/64 Rims on a 65? Rim Color?

Started by Caddyboy65, April 21, 2013, 03:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddyboy65

Happy spring everyone!  I'm in the process of replacing my tires on my 65' Sedan DeVille.  When I bought her 13 years ago she had 63'/64' hubcaps on her, and well she still does.  It seems to irritate most enthusiasts who "know" they are not the right ones but I think it gives it some character.  When I came across some 65' Hubcaps at a swap meet I hastilly got home and cleaned them up to put them on the 65'.  Well they didn't fit!  They were not only loose but it seemed like the rims were too big.  Does anyone know if the rims might actually be a 63/64 set?  I already bought rims from a 65/66 but one is black and the others are gray.  I was told that the spare was black but the main rims were gray.  Is this true?  Where could I find info on the actual color of these rims?  I'd like to get them sandblasted and painted with 65' hubcaps for the Grand National.  Also, should I keep the rims as I got it?  OR should I put the 65' rims on it.  Personally pretty torn.  Like the 63/64's but I know some see it as a sin to not have the "exact" hubs on it.  Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,
Daren F. McGettigan
Caddyboy65@aol.com

cadillactim

Daren

1961-64 rims are the same, and 1965-67 rims are the same.  The 61-64 hub caps will not fit on the 65-67 rims and vice versa.  As you have discovered, the 63-64 hub caps are bigger than the 65 hub caps.

Tim
Tim Groves

Dan LeBlanc

The closest off the shelf paint colour I've found for doing rims is Ford Tractor Grey. It's readily available, no mixing, ready to go out of the can.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Gene Beaird

Daren,

I believe that's the way the wheels are on our 68.  Black for the spare, gray for the road wheels. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873