News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Barn find 53 Eldo

Started by Quentin Hall, August 30, 2014, 09:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dadolac

You could honestly look at that Eldo from Amelia Island and call that one the best ?? Please take a better look at those pictures and report back. That is not a number #1 car. 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: dadolac on September 01, 2014, 06:41:46 PM
You could honestly look at that Eldo from Amelia Island and call that one the best ?? Please take a better look at those pictures and report back. That is not a number #1 car.

"The car offered here, body number 89, was formerly owned by well-known collector Lee Herrington, and then it was acquired from him for Mr. and Mrs. Kughn’s collection. The Kughns were longtime attendees and supporters of the Meadow Brook Concours d’Elegance, and this car was a frequent guest of that famous event, as it was displayed there in 2006, 2007, and 2009. It also appeared at the Bay Harbor Vintage Car & Boat Festival in 2007."

Yea, I'm sure it's junk.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

dadolac

I didn't say it was junk. You said it represents one of the best. The pictures say otherwise.

dadolac

I also will add, it was sold at the correct price for that condition

R Schroeder

I love how these simple postings get started, and end up in a gun fight at the OK corral..............ha
I'm with Eric. Wax on wax off.
Roy

Quote from: Roy Schroeder on September 01, 2014, 06:50:50 PM
I love how these simple postings get started, and end up in a gun fight at the OK corral..............ha
I'm with Eric. Wax on wax off.
Roy

Amen to that.

Quote from: dadolac on September 01, 2014, 06:47:38 PM
I didn't say it was junk. You said it represents one of the best. The pictures say otherwise.

If this is not one of the best I don't know what is - or you must have much better eyes or computer screen than mine, or both.

The car also has excellent credentials, show & ownership history - which also adds worth.

And even if one were extra fussy - how much extra could one possibly spend to iron out the few negligible flaws the car may have - $20K maybe and be done in less than a year?

And who's to say how good the blue car would turn out - and after 4 years of waiting to find out? 

My father before me had been in the car business for 30 years and what he once said was as true then as it is today:

"A junkyard Corvette costs more than a new one on the showroom floor."

Quentin Hall

Some people need to read the club charter. All I can say is that shortly the representation of 53  Eldos outside of The good ol' US of A will be greater than that in it..... If that isn't already the case.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

dadolac

A true number 1 car with proper number 1 credentials sold for $356k this year. Where you might ask? Amelia Island of course.  Folks there is a difference. I'll leave it at that.  http://hollywoodstarauction.com/ 

Hyfire

I don't understand why CLC members would bad mouth a previously "lost" car that has come to light.  We should be happy if ANYONE buys this car and fixes her up.  Now it's come to talking down to fellow members because they think a car is worth more than you feel it's worth?

You guys need to reevaluate why you are here.  Take the high road and respect a differing opinion.

J. M. Ackerman

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Remember when that 1957 Eldorado sold for $600,000 Plus a year ago.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013/03/29/first-1957-cadillac-eldorado-biarritz-sells-for-649000/

A friend of mine had the opportunity to buy that car for $60,000 unrestored........It was in a little too ruff shape he said.  And believe me he has the skills to really turn a car into a show winner.

I remember that car after it sold was really ripped for its condition on this board.

If your trying to make money flipping cars it really comes down to which way the wind is blowing...........Its anybodies guess..........I say enjoy what you have and have fun with it!!

Mike

Mike
Baillargeon

76eldo

A fully restored 53 in blue owned by Joe Marchione in Philadelphia sold last year for about $300K.

Joe is a well known, well respected area car guy who has bought sold and traded more 53 Eldo's than anyone I know of.  At one time he was in the exclusive club of owning a 53 Skylark, 53 Fiesta, and a 53 Eldo all at the same time.

Being involved in some serious restoration over the years, I would say that the 53 Eldo at the top of this post is an excellent restoration project because it is complete other than the intake.

Price and dollars spent isn't everything when it comes to certain cars.  How many of these unrestored 53's can be left?

We live in a free market society and whatever it goes for at the end of the auction is the right number.  Perhaps one or more of the bidders is a restoration shop?  Maybe someone that has another 53 project wants to combine their resources to get their car done faster?  Who knows?

Good luck to whoever gets it.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

kav

All you need is a willing seller and a willing buyer , and it's worth what it sells for . Chill and take the caddy out for a spin .
1953 series 62
nicknamed  SERENA

Tony Love

I'm restoring car number 8, Aztec Red with full red interior.

I am expecting it to be the best on the planet when completed and anticipate it will be the first 53 Eldorado to reach over half a million dollars. My philosophy has been simple with respect to restoring this car, there are no financial limits on achieving the best result, and every single aspect of the car is as good as it is humanly possible to achieve.

Tony

C.R. Patton II

Hello Tony

Your philosophy on number 8 will not only achieve a masterpiece but a future mentality for emulation by amateur's and expert's.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

76eldo

I watched Jay Leno's new car show on CNBC the other night.
During an auction segment someone paid 34 Million dollars for an original Ferarri owned by one man since new. It was an early 60's GTO.

Anything is possible and as rare as a 53 Eldorado is, it's quite possible.
There are people out there that will want the best.

Good luck.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, some people go mad over Ferarris.   Others over Dusenbergs.

Me, '72 Cadillac Eldorado Convertibles.   The year Cadillac got it right.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Quote from: Hyfire on September 01, 2014, 08:15:51 PM
  I don't understand why CLC members would bad mouth a previously "lost" car that has come to light.  We should be happy if ANYONE buys this car and fixes her up.  Now it's come to talking down to fellow members because they think a car is worth more than you feel it's worth?

You guys need to reevaluate why you are here.  Take the high road and respect a differing opinion.

Nothing here was intended or implied to "bad mouth" the car in any way whatsoever.

The main focus was analysis of a particular car's monetary value which is where disagreement arose - which is fine by me.

While I would never have any interest in becoming involved with such a car for the reasons I have stated, I wish the best of luck to the new owner in his/her restoration plans, all the same. 

@ dadolac,

One or two instances of a given car selling far above average hardly establishes a benchmark. As any student of statistics will tell you, both low and high figures are eliminated from the computation in order to arrive at the most realistic average value.

This methodology is even practiced in CLC team judging. 

rwchatham CLC 21892

Quote from: Quentin Hall on September 01, 2014, 07:26:35 AM
You are absolutely right Art. What kind of moron would spend his every waking hour and every spare dollar trying to rebuild a piece of junk like that? . . . Let alone two of 'em.
PS, and I for one wouldn't want to associate with any one who would. I know none of my friends would.

Hey Q, count me in the club since as you know I am doing 2 53 eldos and a 53 skylark . Maybe we could get some t shirts made up ?

Tony, car is looking great but don't forget about our little wager.  lol
R. Waligora

rwchatham CLC 21892

I would bid on it but I have a blue one and a red one, need a white one to finish out the group.

Imagine the 3 , red white and blue on display at the same time, one day hopefully.
R. Waligora