News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

antenna problems - 1976 Eldorardo

Started by Richard Paley #1066, March 09, 2005, 08:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Paley #1066

I understand rebuilt units or NOS are literally impossible to find, or are questionably rebuilt and available only at exhorbitant price through Caddy Daddy.  Mine is non-functional, wont extend or retract.  Anyone have a source or idea for satisfactory original/non-original replacement?

JIM CLC # 15000

03-11-05
Richard, check for a service ad in Hemmings Motor News for a mr. Anntena, that rebuilds power ants. Havent used him, but have only heard good things said about his work.
Good Luck, Bet the weed eater cord is broken, Jim

Sid Bartos

I have seen power antennas on ebay for reasonable prices.

Steve Preston #16375

Have you done preliminary checks 1st?

1) When you turn the radio on, can you hear the antennas motor running? If yes, then chances are, the nylon string inside is broken and its not a critical problem. Repair shouldnt cost an arm & leg.

If no, go to #2.

2) The plug at the antenna is a 4 prong plug. Unhook it, there are 4 wires @ the antenna side: light green, black, red & white. Presuming that the antenna is in the fully retracted position, with a jumper wire, apply +12 vdc to the light green wire. If the antenna goes up to 12, thats good. Now jumper the white wire, it should retract. Finally jumper the black & it should fully extend. If these tests work, then its either the relay or the switch on the dash. If no, the the internal switch of the antenna is probably bad, but it could be repairable.

If you do these tests, you can email me direct and Ill help further troubleshoot.