News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

caster camber

Started by George, March 11, 2005, 09:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Having just read Franks article on C&C. Why do we need to check frontend alignment when replacing suspension parts, ie ball joints? I can understand why tie rod end replacement can affect toe alignment. How do ball joints affect front end alignment.

JIM CLC # 15000

03-11-05
George, I have wondered about that, myself.
I suppose it is because of the fact that the new ball-joints may not line-up exactly as the old-ones did. (never mind that the new ones would be in the acceptable range).
Good luck, Gorge it the money thing, Jim

Frank Wurpel

George,

Thanks for reading my little Caster/Camber story. The point I was trying to make is that when we change our cars over from cross ply tires to Radial tires, we need to modify the Caster angle from negative to positive.
What you are saying is that there is no real requirement to change the wheel geometry if you are just replacing ball joints or bushings. Although theoretically correct, I would still check the front wheel alignment, as minor changes in front wheel geometry can have major consequences.
Please note that we are talking about angles as little as just 1°! Misalingnment of your front wheels can result in the car pulling to one side, or wondering from side to side, not to mention the effect on braking, where the load on the front wheels is drastically increased. You wouldnt like to have your car pull sideways in an emergency stop situation.

On top of all this, misaligned wheels wear your front tires like nobodys business.
Even just hitting a curb may cause your alignment to go, especially on our cars where the whole front train is still adjustable unlike the modern cars of today.

In short George, you do not have to re-align your wheels after front end surgery, but I would stil check the wear of your tires afterwards. The wear patern of your tires will indicate if re-aligment is required. (or of course if your car starts to pull towards one side or behave differently than before surgery)

Cheers,

Frank Wurpel
Lumphanan, Scotland (UK)