News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Flying hubcaps

Started by Ivan Zanatta, March 13, 2005, 10:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivan Zanatta

My wheelcovers on my 60 coupe dont like their home. Ive been told the weight/radial tyre and rim diameter combination all lead to rim flexing and the wheelcovers coming off. Ive lost and recovered the caps (repairable damage), but I dont think my luck will hold out that long. Any hints (besides not going around corners) as to keeping them on? Thanks

Andrew 10642

Over time the prongs around the perimeter of the wheel get compressed.  You have to spring them back out, but not too much, or youll never get the hubcap back on.  Also, make sure the correct wheel weights are being used.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Ivan

I went for a drive in mine the other day, and lo and behold, the wheel that kept throwing the cap doesnt do it any more.

I got another cap and re-bent the prongs, and now all is good in the world.

The wheels will flex, but the prongs have to have enough grip to still grip.

Plus, it is imperative that you dont use the standard wheel weights, or you will bever get the cap on.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV