News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Cadillac Gold Spoke Wire Wheelcovers, What Are They??

Started by John Morris #23947, November 20, 2007, 09:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Morris #23947

Today I saw a beautiful 68 Eldo. It had on it what the seller said was 80s Seville wheel covers. They are wire spoke, but the spokes were gold! Just beautiful. I've looked on Ebay for these, and even for cars sporting a set, no luck. They did fit on this 68 front wheel drive. Does anyone know what these are? I've found scores of chrome spokes but no gold spokes. I'm going to paint my 70 Eldo bright gold with pearl and clearcoat. Gold spokes with chrome centers and outer ring would really look good on a gold Eldo.
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

35-709

I think a line of shaving cream along the top of each front fender would be a nice touch too, John!  Just seems like it would go with your image somehow.   8)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

I have never seen wire covers that fit the 67-78's.  There were some dealer installed true spokes that fit them.  There is a company that makes a set of true spokes that sound like they may fit your idea but they were not cheap.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

John Morris #23947

I've found many sets online with chrome spokes that are identical to the set I saw on the 68, but they had gold spokes. They were not wheels, but wheel covers. I didn't have my camera aboard. I must identify these, as I want to do a "solid gold Cadillac" and they would top it off. Geoff, I'm not kookoo, I just shave my head so nobody knows I'm bald!
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

TJ Hopland

Let us know how it works out.  I thought the 79-85's had a different offset and the cover grabbed the flat inside part of the wheel (like most covers do).  The 67-78's covers grabbed the bead area of the wheel presumably because of the offset there was no flat inner area to grab.  I think the bolt pattern was the same so if you didnt care about the offset or maybe used lower profile tires maybe you could use the newer wheels on the older cars??   I would wonder about brake clearance and other issues like that.

Dont know how long the picture links will work since they are ebay sales

Here is a newer one you can see where the clips are vs. the older style.  Plus that inner plastic part was fit to cover the inner part of the wheel which I think sticks out a bit farther on the earlier ones.

Here is the older one where you can see the clips at the very outer edge
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dennis

Signed:  Dennis DeLay