News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: 55 deville clock repair
Last post by Cadillac Jack 82 - Today at 12:50:26 PM
Had that problem with my old 55.  Clacked as opposed to work.
General Discussion / Re: Wanted: CLC Escalade Owner...
Last post by Carfreak - Today at 12:27:02 PM
Quote from: Bryan J Moran on Today at 05:01:43 AMAre we really there? Where there will be an Escalade class to be judged next to the 60s and 70s ?

Lost in this example is that Escalades were badge engineered Chevy Tahoes and Suburbans. Still are. 

How successful is the Cimarron Chspter?   Escalades certainly helped stabilize the brand when car sales fell to nothing and Cadillac had nothing in the SUV pipeline, but to celebrate Chevy Suburbans as a possible Chapter is a bridge too far. 

Did anyone even ask Mr Anderson (or whoever would write it) to draft an authenticity manual for the Escalade class?  That would almost kill the morale of what is left of the pre war attendees at GN and regionals. 

70s Sevilles have Olds engines as do sought after 79 Eldos.

94-96 Broughams came with Chev LT1 engines. The cars are smooth, fast & gorgeous.

Doesn't seem like members have a problem with these cars. And recently have even seen a few WTB Cimarron ads. 

And remember the CLC originally only allowed pre-war Cads & LaSalles.
General Discussion / Re: 1976 Eldorado Convertible ...
Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 11:32:08 AM
$50k for a 4100 car?  I guess if you just want to look at it?
General Discussion / Re: Clicking Sound Dashboard
Last post by TJ Hopland - Today at 11:27:52 AM
Yep.  It will likely change if you change the temp dial or modes.  May not go away but should change.

Why is it doing that?  You have to go through the troubleshooting process to figure out what isn't happy.  Cadillac Tim wrote troubleshooting manuals for these more recently using normal DIY tools and based on what often fails with age vs the factory manuals that were based of factory tools and being fairly new units.

Do you want your system to work or just stop clicking?
Sounded like an interesting challenge so i traced it out.

is it like this:  When the ignition is switched on, but the engine (and thus the alternator) is not running, the battery's 12-volt supply flows through the warning light and through the resistor and at that tap to the alternator. At this point, the alternator is not producing any power, so the circuit is completed back to the battery's ground through the resistor , allowing the lamp to light up.

When the engine starts and the alternator begins to generate power, it produces a voltage that closely matches the battery's voltage. This means the voltage on both sides of the lamp is nearly equal, leading to a drop in current flow through the lamp, causing it to go out. Essentially, the light goes off because there is no longer a significant voltage difference across it.

oh.. now i also see the Fuel Gauge and all the Tell Tale Lamps getting hot from ...  the 5amp Gauges /trans fuse..  for the bank of lamps Coolant, Oil Pressure, Gen, Trunk and Low Brake..  possibly missing that when you add fuel gauge symptom.
The hot side of the Tell tale Bulbs goes to the 5 Amp Gauges/Trans fuse.   

So wherever that joint is.. that dot on the center of the schematic..  tracing left of that dot.. that needs to produce 12v at the alternator and have a good circuit back to that dot.. or else the resistor is good enough to make the circuit for ground path so the the Gen lamp will glow (?).

I would try pull the connector at the alternator and feed the brown wire with 12v and see if the lamp goes out eliminating the wiring and blaming the alternator internals.  This is my guess - so verify before you inject 12v.

Maybe the Seat short spiked the Alternator?

But now i see the lamps  and the fuel gauge get the 12v from the 5 amp Gauges/Trans fuse.. so changing my guess on that source.
Sounds like a defective AC programmer
Greg Surfas
General Discussion / Re: Wanted: CLC Escalade Owner...
Last post by Jason Edge - Today at 10:09:24 AM
Quote from: Bryan J Moran on Today at 05:01:43 AMThat would almost kill the morale of what is left of the pre war attendees at GN and regionals.
Looking back at all the GM and other makes that are no longer in existence I would think many "pre war attendees" would be encouraged that the Cadillac brand is even still around, 122 years after its inception. 

It is interesting for some how as time marches on our perception and definition of a daily driver vs classic to to antique car changes. I remember when our 1995 Fleetwood Brougham was just a big ole daily driver, and now I dare say  many consider these 1994-96 Fleetwood's, and earlier Broughams as Classics. I remember back when I bought my 1964 Coupe de Ville in 1996, I thought of it as a Classic but not an Antique. At 60 years old, I think it is now leaning toward antique status (my perception anyway).  When I first started taking it to CLC region meet-ups and other car meets, it was usually in the middle of the pack age-wise, but in more recent years it is part of the older car pack, and sometimes even the oldest car in the group.

One final comment: I was just reading the CLC first and second Newsletter (it was not called the Self-Starter and a good trivia question for you old-timers or CLC historians), they came out August and Sept 1958, and it is noted that they were there to recognize 1902 to 1942 Cadillacs and all LaSalles. That means they were formed to observer vehicles 16 years old. That was 66 years ago ... or about 3 generations of car owners in human life spans. 66 Years later, our club is still around but the grand kids and great-grandkids might have a different definition of a Classic or Antique Cadillac. This of course has a lot to do with what each new generation grows up with and consider their era Cadillac. 
General Discussion / Re: Post Wiper Blades
Last post by ELDERDADO - Today at 10:07:37 AM
Thanks to all. Got em off. Was moving the plastic swing arm the wrong way.
General Discussion / Clicking Sound Dashboard
Last post by ELDERDADO - Today at 10:05:19 AM
Anyone know what causes the regular clicking sound behind the passenger side dashboard on a'72 Coupe?