News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Shipping Question????

Started by undertaker, May 15, 2009, 10:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undertaker

Greetings All,

I am new to this forum and have recently purchased a 1954 Fleetwood in Billings, Montana and need to get the car here to Tennessee, The car may be up to the 1800 mile trip but I'm not sure I am. I am looking for someone to get the car here in a reasonable amount of time for a reasonable fee. Montana is apparently "off the regular route" of the normal shippers and they all say it could be quite some time before they get to it. Any suggestions would be greatly valued at this point.

Regards,
James
"Cheerio, I'd better be shoveling off." Digby "Digger" O'Dell, Your Friendly Undertaker
1954 Fleetwood 60 Special
1992 Fleetwood Limo by Eureka
1994 Fleetwood

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day James,

Congratulations on your purchase, and Billings is a lovely place to visit.

We drove through there in '02, and everyone said it wasn't worth stopping at, but we found it nice.

Sorry I cannot assist you in the transporting, but have you thought of finding a couple of friends to go with you and making it a fun trip?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jeff1956

How close is the closest normal route from billings?  Also, is the previous owner capable/willing to take the car there to meet the shipping company(even for a reasonable fee).  I would see if that is a possibility..otherwise you may be waiting until someone in the Billings Montana area gets a car shipped to them, before yours gets picked up.  It would save you the headache of having to either 1.go get the car and drive it all the way back, which i would not recommend with a new unfamiliar purchase( buy a AAA membership or some sort of roadside assistance, just in case you need it) 2. Have the seller/previous owner take the car to the closest city near Billings that is a normal route and have it picked up there, which would be my choice.  3. Fly out and personally drive the car to meet the shipper in the closest town and then fly back and wait for the car.  The last being probably the most expensive option.  I guess this would all depend on how close the normal route comes to Billings, Montana.  I think driving it the 1800 miles would be my LAST option....with an unfamiliar purchase, unless it was a brand new car, I would not trust it to take you the 1800 miles....plus with a car of this vintage parts are sometimes several days to weeks away.  Just my opinion.  If you knew the car and all, it wouldn't be as much of a concern, but that's just me.

Jeff

Edit:  Where in Tennessee are you located?  I'm not that far from Tennessee myself...

undertaker

Thanks for the thoughts.
   I have considered most of them as well. I am not comfortable driving that car that far yet, when we get better acquainted, then I might try a longer trip. I am just off of I-75 between Knoxville and Chattanooga and would gladly meet a shipper somewhere around the Interstate, even if it were Knoxville, Nashville..... Memphis... I'm begining to get desperate ;).

Thanks Again,
James
"Cheerio, I'd better be shoveling off." Digby "Digger" O'Dell, Your Friendly Undertaker
1994 Fleetwood

Fred Zwicker #23106

Just recently, I almost bought a 56 Pontiac Safari in Montana and after getting close to making the purchase, started to check about shipping and ran into the same situation.  I was in process of securing a flight from Pittsburgh to Denver and then renting a car to drive north to the center of Wyoming to take a good look at the car.  However on that weekend, there was 24" of snow in Denver and 36" north, so I gave up on the purchase.  Too bad as it was a really nice car and the owner was very honest with his description and was also a nice "old car guy".  He finally sold the car to a used car dealer who was also from Wyoming, only four hours away. 

At work, I have access to our heavy duty diesel truck and closed car hauler trailer, but the center of Wyoming is just too far off the beaten track and the trip back and forth would take a good part of a week and at a huge cost, considering fuel costs, hotel, meals, etc.  It turned out for the best, as I later located an even nicer 1955 Safari in Iowa and we picked it up in our trailer last week (10-12 hour drive each way, which makes for a nice trip).

You may be able to arrange shipping through a new car dealer, as they ship cars all the time.  In remote areas, the delivering trucks are probably returning empty, so might be able to haul your car part way to a centralized area for pickup by another carrier. 

Fred

1930 LaSalle Convertible Coupe, CCCA Senior
1939 LaSalle 2-Dr. Conv.  CLC Senior in 2008
1940 Cadillac Series 75 4 Dr. Convertible
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1948 Cadillac Convertible - modified by Holly (driver)
1966 Cadillac DeVille Conv. Restored - Red
See Pictures at www.tpcarcollection.com

Walter Youshock

Can't help you with the shipping problem, but welcome to the club!  As a fellow Funeral Director, it's good to see more of us have an interest in vintage Cadillacs!!!  After all, if you want a perfect, low-mile car, look to your friendly neighborhood undertaker...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

undertaker

Quote from: Walter Youshock on May 16, 2009, 09:46:17 AM
Can't help you with the shipping problem, but welcome to the club!  As a fellow Funeral Director, it's good to see more of us have an interest in vintage Cadillacs!!!  After all, if you want a perfect, low-mile car, look to your friendly neighborhood undertaker...

Yes, I have a 1992 Fleetwood, 6 door limo at home. It has 72,0000 miles on it and was a funeral home car...... almost a new car.
1994 Fleetwood

76eldo

Look in Hemmings Motor News, or go to Hemmings.com and look under auto transport (services offered).  There used to be a bunch of smaller Mom and Pop type folks with trucks and trailers for hire that did custom runs like what you need.  I would stay away from DAS and other open carrier transport that will treat your precious old car like a 92 Carolla.  Also watch out for "brokers" that sell your load to someone else, and then you4r car ends up getting loaded on and off a few times, overnights in parking lots/terminals, etc.

The more the car changes hands during the trip and gets loaded and unloaded, the more possibility of damage.

Another idea is to have a CLC member go and look at the car and see if they think it's safe to drive back, and just drive it.  Could be a fun trip!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

undertaker

Quote from: 76eldo on May 16, 2009, 10:00:22 AM

Another idea is to have a CLC member go and look at the car and see if they think it's safe to drive back, and just drive it.  Could be a fun trip!

Brian

The seller tells me there is nothing he knows of that would keep it from making the trip. I have checked in to flying out and driving back. A second look by another member would make me feel better, but how would I find someone in the area that could and would do that?

Thanks Again,
James
1994 Fleetwood

Otto Skorzeny

Post a request here or look at the membership roster to find someone in Billings and contact him.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

undertaker

Quote from: ottoskorzeny on May 16, 2009, 01:25:58 PM
Post a request here or look at the membership roster to find someone in Billings and contact him.

As I said I am new to this forum and club. How would I go about doing the above mentioned? Is there a roster online? I have joined the CLC, but have not recieved a # or any other information yet, but it has not even been a week yet.

Thanks,
James
1994 Fleetwood

jeff1956

before setting off on your 1800 mi journey i would def do a couple things. i would change all the belts and hoses( heater and rad) unless the guy can produce a receipt showing theyve recently been done. hoses deteriorate from the inside out.   check the carb....most that are rarely driven can cause issues. mine drove fine no leaks....when i got to my destination i heard sizzling....gas pouring out of the carb due to stuck valve....lucky it didnt catch fire...also buy a new fuel pump just in case u need it....they can still be ordered from reg parts houses. have the rearend checked and check the trans also. if tires are old replace them as most likely theythey will fail somewhere on the 1800 mi journey. chk the spare and jack....have the brakes checked as well if it hasnt been recently done and also service the gal.....i know this is redundant info but sometimes we forget all these things and shes not a new car.......

jeff

Jim Thompson

Use someone you know who has a diesel truck and trailer. I have done it both ways and will not use a carrier again.
1946 Cadillac model 61 fastback

undertaker

Quote from: Jim Thompson on May 16, 2009, 04:34:30 PM
Use someone you know who has a diesel truck and trailer. I have done it both ways and will not use a carrier again.

I tried a carrier. I could tell right off it was not going to work. They brokered it out, the driver took the job, had other things to do and put it off. I didn't have a problem waiting a couple more days but he told me one thing, the seller another, and his dipatcher another...and on and on so I just said forget it and here I am. I had read all of the sites saying not to let a broker handle it and so on but I was so thrilled when he hold me how quickly it would be picked up and delivered that I " leaped with out looking".

Thanks,
James
1994 Fleetwood

undertaker

;D ;D ;D ;D Thanks for all the thoughts. I have the shipping in the works. The gent doing it is also a CLC member out of GA. and he is gonna put her in an enclosed trailer and get home. I can't wait!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Again All,
James
1994 Fleetwood

The Tassie Devil(le)

Great news.

I thought it would come to fruition.

Gotta love this Club.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

grinch

Fruition?  I had to look that one up.  Someone bought 'word of the day' toilet paper!
Peter Mason CLC #24665
Charlotte, NC
1968 Deville Convertible in progress
1989 Sedan DeVille

caddy_carazy

Quote from: grinch on May 17, 2009, 09:30:55 AM
Fruition?  I had to look that one up.  Someone bought 'word of the day' toilet paper!

This is a common term here in Great Britain and all her Commonwealth countries.

Otto Skorzeny

It's common in the USA, too.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

undertaker

I worked with a man who used that word often. That's the only way I knew what it meant.

Regards,
James
1994 Fleetwood