News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

WTB '57 Hydramatic Buildable Core

Started by Art Woody, June 09, 2009, 08:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Woody

I am searching for a good or rebuildable transmission for a '57 Coupe DeVille. The one taken out of car is very rusty and has severely pitted internal parts. Anyone with good trans or a good core out there? Located in mid-east Tennessee, but will arrange for pick-up or shipping. Thanks, Art

<modified by J. Hansen at the request of Art Woody: corrected the spelling of 'Hydramatic' in the subject line>

jeff1956

Give Alvin Arnold a call...he is located in Paragould, Arkansas and probably has what you need.  His number is 870-236-7253...if you have a chance to come pick it up you'll probably enjoy walking around his yard...he has about 400 caddies in various stages of decomp....some are very restorable complete cars. 

Jeff

Art Woody

Thanks for the reply Jeff. We have already bought some body parts from this supplier, but they didn't have the '57 transmission. However as you say, I would love to rummage through the yard. Old junkyards facinate me, I can't imagine an all Caddy gravesite.

Coupe

I dug out my Hollander again and found you can expand your search to include '58 Cadillac Hydramatics just by swapping the oil cooling setup from your existing '57 to the '58 transmission. The '57, '58 Olds Hydramatic fit also "Use Cadillac converter and hsg. Switch output shaft and extension hsg. Adapt filler tube."
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Mike

Hi,
I have a 57 Coupe parts car, as well as a 58. They both have tranny's, but both are parts cars that haven't been on the road for years. I have no idea what the tranny condition is like inside. They are still in the car. I would sell you one for $ 150. I'm not close enough for you to pick it up, it would have to be shipped. I am 3 hours east of Detroit, in Ontario.
Let me know if you are interested,
Thanks
Michael

Art Woody

Thanks for all the replies. I have secured a transmission, but I have yet to determine the fitness of it for the expensive rebuild. Again, thanks to all who respnded. Art Woody

John Morris #23947

you will pay $2000-$2500 for a rebuild out of car, plus 2 way shipping as there are only a few trusted Jetaway rebuilders left. I have a rebuilt 57 trans sitting right here. I drove the car home, it shifted flawlessly. On the firewall was an "AAMCO" sticker, the old feller said he had it rebuilt in 81, drove it 2 years, then the car was parked. Tags said 82. I had to wire up a 5 gal. gas can in the trunk and put a carb & fuel pump on with new rubber gas line, cranked it with no spark to prime, thing ran super. Put on 4 good tires/rims, bled brakes. Had to fill the can again, kid said no way until I handed him a $10 tip. No leaks, tranny runs great. Way back in 81 AAMCO still knew how to rebuild a Jetaway. $800 to anyone out there with free palleting, then exact shipping. [just bought new computer, no picture program a few more days] 
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.