News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

I am looking for a V16 engine to rebuild. doesn't matter what condition

Started by Dustin Hamilton, December 21, 2009, 11:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otto Skorzeny

Doug, there is a vendor on that list who specializes in parts for V12 and V16 cars of the early 30s. Pete Sanders / Pete's Parts
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Quote from: dhamilton56 on January 18, 2010, 11:23:57 PMI am not sure what to buy...I may end up with a 38-40 135 degree flathead.  How common are freeze cracks in the block of these engines?  Where do the cracks usually appear and how much do they effect the strength of the block? 
From what I have heard from late Sixteen experts, freeze cracks are fairly common in the 135 degree blocks.  Some can be repaired with welding and others cannot.  I have a copy of the Sixteen section of the 1939 salesman's data book and it states that it is a tribute to the skill and accuracy of the Cadillac foundry that a sixteen-cylinder block and crankcase can be poured and formed in a single casting.  Although metallurgy and foundry techniques had improved since the first Ford V-8's (the first unitized block/crankcase engines) of 1932, the majority of which were either discarded at the foundry or replaced in the field, and probably mostly as a result of the problems with those blocks,  the flathead V-16 engine was obviously a much greater challenge because it had twice the number of cylinders and almost exactly twice the piston displacement. Some areas of that very large block apparently ended up being of less than optimal thickness for maximum freeze damage resistance. As for where the cracks usually appear, my guess is that they would be adjacent to the water passages, but exactly where I don't know.

RestoGuy937

Quote from: MattV16 on January 13, 2010, 03:07:03 PM
  It would be almost impossible to buy even a rebuildable core for only $5000. I would say that almost all V16 drivetrains are known. I hope you do find one. As I said in our email, if you want a V16, I will sell you one, early V16  or late V16, I have them both but it's going to cost ya.  ;)

Very correct, I however dont exactly like hearing about a the future possibility of a V16 powered Rod, but hey I'm a tree, I can bend.

RestoGuy937

Also, will everyone posting Cadillac V16 parts for sale,  please contact me asap for a quick sale of all your V16 parts, anything and everything. E-mail dc2turbo937@yahoo.com  Cell 937-479-6894 call anytime Thanks!

johnwalker

nice hijack! why don't you start your own thread instead of cutting in on someone else's deal? it's easy enough.

dhamilton56

Otto, thanks for the parts supplier reference!  I would not have found that on my own. 

Jeff, NICE PICTURES!! Is that stuff all yours?  I love looking at those barn find cars, and parts for that matter.  Theres something about a barn fresh car that I can't help but admire...dirt and all

Thanks for the input Rusty, I cant tell you guys how much I appriciate the replys and emails you all have been sending.

I am 95% sure Im going to buy a 38-40 flathead v16, I will have my work cut out for me...but thats what I was wanting ;)  Hopfully I can get started on this project in the near future.  I haven't gotten too in depth with the design of the car yet, mainly looking for the V16 engine and whatever engine parts I may need first.  That way I can have the engine sitting in my shop, get all the supporting parts designed, built, looking good...and then build a car worthy of sitting behind it. 

johnwalker, thank you sir

Chris Cummings

Jeff,

A year or two ago, the owner told me that he sold the car and collection of parts to a fellow in the Los Angeles area.  That's as much as I know.  Prior to that the owner had been asking $35,000.

Chris Cummings

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Dustin,
Here's my opinion. Go with an OHV. I can see it now... custom log  intake manifolds with 4, no ,make that 6 carbs either down draft or side draft. Chrome headers custom tuned to make that baby "talk" , don't forget to run the tail pipes ALL the way to the rear!  Lots of chrome & polished aluminum...  NO hood of course. You can never achieve that look with a flat head.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Terry Wenger

Dustin:

There are V-16 engines out there of the '38 to '40 Flathead variety. There was one ebay in Dec. That was almost complete and had been rebuilt which went for $8500.

My son and I were thinking of building a flathead V-16 old style hot rod with the parts of an engine I had left over after I finished the restoration of my 38 V-16 Town Sedan, but in evaluating the cost of the engine parts and overhaul, we decided that a Cadillac flathead V-8 hot rod would be much more economical.

The late V-16's crack longitudinally along the sides of the block, I have a cracked block.

Terry

Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

ARAMP1

Terry,

Is there any way to repair a cracked block?  I've heard of it being done (not necessarly on a Caddy V16).

Otto Skorzeny

Ir depends on the crack - where it is and how big it is. Some blocks can be welded. Sometimes there isn't enough metal to weld a crack successfully.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Terry Wenger

Aramp1

Cracked blocks can be fixed But its like Forest says, it depends on the crack and how good the person who repairs it is. The cracks on my block, which is a spare one, go most of the length of the block on both sides. W

Terryhen I bought my car, another good block was included so I never investigated having the cracked one fixed.
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have had good results with Cast Iron cracking by using a process called "Metal Spraying".

Expensive, but well worth it if it really needs being constructed, or repaired.

It even allows you to join metals of dissimilar types.   Like Steel to Cast Iron.

Special equipment is required, and any good engineering shop should have it.

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon