News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

INSTALLED AIR LEVEL SHOCKS ON MY 78 CADILLAC

Started by R Schroeder, September 15, 2011, 11:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R Schroeder

Don't know if this will interest anyone, but I couldn't find anything , on a search, on them before I did the job.

Bought through Amazon a pair of Gabriel Hi-jacker shocks.
I needed the fitting to connect them to my air pump on the car. There is a Schrader valve on the shock hose line. You need the adapter to screw on the Schrader valve to accept the fitting from the air pump line. After much searching I found all the parts. Had them installed yesterday.

Gabriel Shocks number 49131
Gabriel adapter kit - 141248 You will get a bag of junk , but all you need are a couple of parts out of the set.

$75.66 to my door for everything from Amazon.com. Free shipping too.

Roy

Any questions, I'll be out of town until Monday.

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

R Schroeder

Hi Brian.
What I found was this for rear air shocks for a 76 Caddy Deville. They are from Monroe.
The adapter will be the same for any car. It just screws unto the Schrader valve and then to the 1/8 air line feed.

I could not find Gabriel air lift shocks for the 76 Deville , but these are good too.

For the DeVille 1976

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-MA719-Max-Air-Shock-Absorber/dp/B000C57S4E/ref=au_pf_ss_6?ie=UTF8&Model=DeVille%7C406&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Cadillac%7C46&Year=1976%7C1976&carId=001

These for the Eldorado 1976.   Also will fit my 1978 Deville. Same shock. So the Gabriels I have listed will fit the Eldorado ,not the Deville in 76.

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-MA751-Max-Air-Shock-Absorber/dp/B000C53XK2/ref=au_pf_ss_5?ie=UTF8&Model=Eldorado%7C408&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Cadillac%7C46&Year=1976%7C1976&carId=002

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

The last several sets of air shocks I have purchased have come with the air hoses and fittings needed to do the manual fill.   If your original system still works the new hoses have always been the same size as the originals so all you need are a couple of fittings like a T that should be available at a decent hardware store.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

R Schroeder

TJ
I tried to go that route, but all that I could find were brass compression fittings for 1/8 inch copper line. You then would have to remove the brass compression ring and install two or 3 small rubber O-rings in there , so you could compress the line and seal it tight.
This kit I mentioned makes it real easy. It just screws right on the Schrader valve , after removing the valve inside, and the old line hooks up on the other end. 1 minute tops to install.
I tried to find the T for plastic line , but they didnt have any that small.
Roy

EldoradoRedd1

I put Monroe air shocks on my '80 Eldorado fit right in all the pieces were'nt necessary.
Now the Fleetwood needs shocks all-around Gabriel air shocks 59.99@Auto Zone
S.Rhame

R Schroeder

I went to Auto Zone site and could not find Monroe shocks on there, but I did find Gabriel shocks and they included the adapter kit with the shocks for your car, the Eldorado.  Same price I paid. 75.00 bucks.

I had to order the adapter valve , because the air pump on my DeVille is an option, where as the pump on a Eldorado probably was standard equipment. That's probably why it was included.
Roy

TJ Hopland

Guess I must have better hardware stores around here.  I thinking it was Menards but now you got me wondering. 

R Schroeder

They must carry the 1/8 plastic line connectors someplace. I just couldn't find them. Went to NAPA and a few other parts stores and several hardware stores. All they could give me was the T for copper lines. 1/4 inch line fittings were easy to find though for plastic.
Roy

I did just find this on line from Fastenal. You would have to order it, but still not sure it would work.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=442005&ucst=t

TJ Hopland

Mine were brass.  I remember having trouble finding them at one time but 2-3 years ago I had one spot in a line that got rubbed through and I was shopping for something else and saw the brass ones that looked like they would work and they did.  Im not sure what a normal homeowner would do with lines that small, I was very surprised they were easy to find.   

R Schroeder

I can buy the brass connectors for 1/8 lines. The problem I found was when they were tightened the brass furrel tipped inside because the plastic line was to soft. They didnt seal because of this.
I then put 3 small O-rings in them , on each connector ,  and this solved the problem. I too had a kink in the line and this was the way I fixed it , but for the shocks I used the adapter connection .
The hardware store did have brass connectors for the 1/4 inch plastic lines. As you know they are made a little different.
Roy

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

R Schroeder

Brian. What can I get you a photo of ? The picture below shows the parts needed for the adapter kit. Red dots near the parts.
The adapter , 3 , O-rings and the cap. Valve stem removed.
Roy

R Schroeder

This might be what you want.
Furrel next to the pink dot is discarded. You need to find 2 to 3 , O-rings that just slide unto the 1/8 tubing and fit under the brass cap. These in the picture are a little big. I used all of the ones I bought , so I used these for example.
Mine took 3 to make a tight connection. The cap compresses the O-rings as it is tightened. they will compress around the tube and compress because they are stacked. You don't need to over tighten them either. Just snug them down.
This set up would be used if you don't want to use the adapter kit. I found the kit a lot easier than going around and finding all the parts.
Hope this is what your looking for.

Roy

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Glen

I’ve had pretty good luck with the 1/8th inch compression fittings using the rings.  Of course you must put the ring in straight and maybe lube the outside so it slides as it is compressed. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

R Schroeder

Does anybody know what that big spring is for that comes with the kit. It is driving me nuts trying to figure out what that was for.
Roy

76eldo

Big spring?  I think that's a coil of plastic tubing.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

R Schroeder

No it is a big metal spring that came with the kit.
Roy