News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1954-1955 Power Steering Gear Seals

Started by DUC, September 26, 2011, 03:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUC

Hello guys. I'm currently replacing all the o-rings and seals in my 54 series 62 power steering gear box. And I'm having a small problem finding the housing seal (original part number 18.0702) and cover seal (original part number 18.0280). The seals that I did find are not as beefy with the rubber being thinner on the new seals. Would anyone have a some sort of replacement part number from like SKF or some other seal company?

I know the system is running about 900-950psi. Are the seals under the same pressure?
Chris Henry

1954 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan

DUC

57 veiws and no helpfull info? Don't worry, I found all the seals and o-rings I needed to rebuild the unit. The o-rings were easy to find, the seals took some research.

Housing seal SKF P/N CR 12360
Cover seal SKF P/N CR 8660

These seals can handle 91.32psi stationary and 40psi while rotating.
Chris Henry

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Hi,
I saw this thread had been deleted before I got a chance to reply - I'm glad that it is back up again. I rebuilt mine on my 54 CDV using a kit from Mike Gadellato Cadillacs Unlimited and I did have a problem with one of the new O rings [see my previous postings about that]. It turned out that the one in the kit that seals the body around the "pressure plate" was thicker than the original and this stopped the PS from working. This did happen with another CLC member Art Gardner, we both informed Mike and I guess he has put this right now, as his kits are good and very useful. So, if you have no PS after this, suspect that O ring.
Good luck,
Phil

DUC

There is a vendor I talked to and I asked about posibbly buying the 2 seals from him, at $32.50 ea. No thank you! I bought both seals for $10. I spent about $45 for everything.
Chris Henry