News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Vincennes Red and Antoinette Blue

Started by kkarrer, October 07, 2011, 12:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

I'm restoring a 41 coupe 6227D and would like to paint the wheels (or powder coat) Vincennes Red.  I was having trouble finding it, but David (ext 168) at Auto Color Library did some searching and came up with it.  I hope this info is helpful to someone else.  The web site is:  www.autocolorlibrary.com   They have the original color chips and paint formulas and I've had nothing but good experiences with their stuff (even on my 1929 Chrysler Roadster).  My thanks to those who responded.  Yes! They can match Antoinette Blue.
Ken Karrer  41  6227D coupe

Dan LeBlanc

If they don't have a formula for it, there's a hotline for Dupont they can call that will give them an approximate match in a book of colours.  They came damn close on my Nautilus Blue.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

1941-7523

Hey Ken,

I am not sure what direction you are going, but if you are going with Vincennes Red I would suggest not powder coating. I have been told that even when they are not exposed to the sun everyday the powder coating eventually turn a pink color and that is common for any red colored powder coating. You might consider doing a little research about that before powder coating.

Matt

Paul Tesone

Ken - I was originally going to have the wheels of my 47 convertible painted in Vincennes Red. I was told by a reputable restoration shop that the modern paint equivilent of Vincennes Red is a Mercedes color called SIGNAL RED ( PPG # 71520 ), and had my local paint supplier make me a small can of it. I ended up deciding to go with powder coating ; so I took the paint to the powder coater and compared it to the samples of red that he had . Unlike picking colors from a sample book , his samples were actual powder coated pieces of 4"x 3" metal ; so I felt the color was an accurate representation of the color that would end up on my wheels . I found one that was very close to the Mercedes Signal Red color . It wasn't exact , but VERY close -so much so that I'm sure no one could tell the difference , even if the two colors were on different cars sittting side by side . I think the powder coat manufacturer was Tiger and the color # was RAL 3003. If you have the opportunity to personally see the metal samples , that would be your best bet .The issue of red powder coating having a tendancy to fade has been raised . I can't comment on this , as I haven't had the wheels on the car that long . Attached are photos of my 47 wheel - the first as it came from the powder coater, the other two on the car . Good luck , whatever you decide . Paul Tesone  - tess352@yahoo.com ---CLC # 6876

kkarrer

Thanks!  That's a nice red and good looking car.  I'm posting some of the "take apart" pictures of mine today.  I got the front end, doors and trunk lid off this weekend and all of the body to frame bolts out.
Ken Karrer 41 6227D coupe