News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rust problems on '73 DeVille

Started by thevinylking69, October 09, 2011, 12:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thevinylking69

I was just wondering if there were any rust prone spots or any other problematic areas or issues that I should look for when buying a '73 Coupe, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
     Chuck

TJ Hopland

Around (and under) the vinyl top and around the chrome trim are common areas for that era.   The inside edge of the trunk lid seems to be a common area also. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

thevinylking69

thank you, I'll keep that in mind when I go look at it

RobW

Just to add a few more areas...the edges of the hood, the lower rear front fenders under the rocker moldings, the edge of the 1/4 panels under the skirts, the inner rear wheelhouses, the front wheelhouse behind the battery, the lower areas of the 1/4's, along the front edge of the roof at the upper windshield reveal molding, along the hood center molding and all along the thin body side moldings where each rivet holds a clip for the molding. Yeah they were built to rust.
Rob Wirsing

thevinylking69

Davidinhartford

Yeah, under the rocker panel moldings for sure.   They trap rain water and hide rust.  Same for the bodyside moldings.   The clips that hold them on have metal rivets that rust.  So look along the side moldings.   Rear fender skirts can trap road salt and rust out.   Pop a skirt off and look under it, the hangers too.     And as others pointed out, the bottom edge of the vinyl top hold water and can be rusty.