News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Power Brake Unit and Neatsfoot Oil? '57 Series 62

Started by Dan Koser, June 22, 2012, 12:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Koser

Back in February, there was an exchange about a "maintenance plug" in the back of the Hydro-Vac Brake Booster, into which one would put drops of Neatsfoot oil to lubricate the leather poston. Does anyone have an image of where this plug is located? I'm having trouble finding it. Regards,  Dan

Walter Youshock

It's on the back of the piston chamber facing the firewall.  IMPOSSIBLE to access without removing the booster from the cowl.

Here's what I do:  slide the short black vacuum hose backward over the pipe until the gap is exposed.  Slide a piece of small hose through the pipe and oil it through there.  I have a ketchup dispenser type bottle with the built-in spout.

Slide the hose back over the pipes and you're done!

The earlier cars ('55 and earlier) had the booster mounted on a bracket next to the engine.  The Eldorado Broughams also had it mounted where you could get at the plug.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan Koser

Great info & tip....thanks Walter.    Regards,   Dan

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Hello:

I was one of the people who replied to that February posting you mentioned.

On the earlier Hydro Vac units, there was a small pipe plug on the front of
the main unit facing the radiator (front) of the car.

There was no "bracket" as mentioned.  The plug, while slightly difficult to
loosen (due to lack of space), can be removed with a small wrench.

Then I just use a short length of hose with a metal tip on it and snake it down
to the hole after removing the plug.  I have a funnel attached to the other end
and drop the oil in that way.   

About a tablespoon or two of neetsfoot oil per year is enough to do the job.

I do not know about the '57 units, but add this clarification for those with the
older cars to avoid confusion.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Walter Youshock

Sorry, Mike.  I don't have a '55 but I do have a '57.  Thank you for the clarification regarding the '55 mounting provision.  The '57 booster plug cannot be accessed without detaching it from the firewall.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

cadman49

what is neatsfoot oil? in all of my years and cadillac cars i havent heard of it.where can i get it? a special oil i suppose.  after you get the hose loose off the tubes,which direction do you shoot the oil in? towards firewall or radiator? how much to put in?thanks much.  richard king 6/29/12 57 cpe.

Dan Koser

Apparently, there is more to neatsfoot oil than meets the eye. I went looking for it and can't find it locally. I've attached a thread from a gun hobby group that I found on line discussing this, and offer it for what it's worth. Our local True Value had Neatsfoot Oil Compound, which this gun thread says NOT to use. So, I'm still looking and I suppose there must be some source on line. Back in the day, this oil was the only thing to use to soften up a new baseball glove....you could easily get it; except for now, when I need it again.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Quote from: cadman49 on June 29, 2012, 04:17:05 PM
what is neatsfoot oil? in all of my years and cadillac cars i havent heard of it.where can i get it? a special oil i suppose.  after you get the hose loose off the tubes,which direction do you shoot the oil in? towards firewall or radiator? how much to put in?thanks much.  richard king 6/29/12 57 cpe.

Leather conditioner.

https://www.google.com/search?q=neatsfoot+oil+walmart&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=33Q&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=neatsfoot+oil+uses&revid=851581920&sa=X&ei=yDjuT-XcCKf96gHL3pSsAw&ved=0CIgBENUCKAA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=ab32bf24ea6e9c97&biw=1280&bih=868
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Neatsfoot oil is an old leather conditioner that can usually be purchased
at any good hardware store.

Cadillac, of course, had their own branded fluid which (from memory) was
called "Acupella fluid AA" which of course ceased to be available years ago.

Neatsfoot oil keeps the leather soft and pliable and prevents cracking.

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

gary griffin

It is more of a leather item than a gun item. Try White boots in Spokane, they may have some on their website
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Yep, its what we treat our motorcycle leathers with - buy it from leather shops or shoe repairers.
Phil

B Readling CLC#25871

I believe this will. Check with Tandy Leather Factory. I'm sorry I don't have a phone number but you can find them in computer vile.
Brady - CLC#25871

Jeff Maltby 4194

I bought this years ago for $3.39.

http://www.reference.com/browse/kiwi+neatsfoot+oil
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Dan Koser

I ordered and received 8 Oz. of "Sheps 100% Pure" Neatsfoot oil from HorseLoverz.com (http://www.horseloverz.com/). The cost was $3 + $4.95 for shipping. I haven't actually got to putting this in the power brake unit yet, but it's on my list.  Regards,  Dan