News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

Newbie needs Pre-purchase advise

Started by gregm, September 02, 2012, 10:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidinhartford

Quote from: gregm on September 04, 2012, 03:38:53 PM
Dave, I hoped you were here...I saw your car somewhere else and sent you a PM asking f it were for sale. Hope you did not think it too forward of me...I love the color combo. Is the interior cloth or  leather?

Is a vinyl top called out on the trim tag?

I like the plum color but need to see better photos in natural lighting as the photos on the website have poor color. From what I have read the Firemist colors were heavy metallic and should really light up in the sun. I wish it had a leather interior. I like the flares (are those OEM?) and un-restored nature of trunk.

I am going to stick with the 1968s. I have yet to talk to the guy with the blue 68.

I would prefer to buy from an owner and not a dealer. The link to the local chapters did not work...is there a club join and a classified section?

Hi Greg,
               The bodytag will have the exterior color, top and interior codes on it.

I have photos of the plum 68 from the owner.   He had it forsale privately before using the broker.   It looks to be in excellent condition.   

I do have my cars pics online at a few places, so I must have missed your post.   

Let me go find those pics.
               Dave

Davidinhartford

Greg,

Here are pics of the Plum one.

Davidinhartford

gregm

Dave, you are da' man...the photos are better than those on the website.

Did you keep the owners contact information? What was he asking for it?

The color is growing on me...and it look like, what I like to call, an "honest" car. Never molested. Probably 1 repaint. Interior and trunk original. A nice, mostly original, driver quality car.

I would like to talk tot the owner. 
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Davidinhartford

You are in luck.  I saved the info from his first listing.

I have a 1968 Cadillac Eldorado that is in remarkable shape. I have enjoyed this auto for 10 or so years. I replaced all the fuel and brake lines, converted the AC to 134a, I even cut apart the dryer and replaced the insides with 134a compatible materials, to retain the factory appearance. Works great! This car came from Arizona and has never has rust, ever. It has the 472 cid motor with the 425 trans that shifts perfectly. It has a new NOS exhaust. It does everything that it did in 1968! I believe the odometer reads 95,000 miles and works. The PW, PS, PL, PB, wipers, hide-a-way headlights, climate control, power trunk works like the day it was new. The cruise worked, the knob to regulate the speed is stiff, and would need to be cleaned. The cloth interior is in perfect condition, and not faded.  The paint job was done on account of the gloss had been bleached by the Arizona sun, and would be a “Chip Foose” with a scuff and rub.   The chrome is better than any other 1968’s anywhere. The tires are like new, however, one of them has a belt starting to make noise. I would rate this a strong number 2! I would be eager to have an appraiser or anyone take a very close look at this! I am located south west of Chicago 60 miles from the state line. I am so confident, mechanically,  that I would negotiate driving it for delivery, weather permitting. I have a transport service that has delivered autos cheaper than I could round trip it.  You can ask for a quote with this terri@platinum-transport.com and my zip code is 46371. I have had some very good luck with Complete Auto Transport  Services  in Hubbard, OH
    This is not something that has been "fixed up"! No signs of repair, inside the quarters in the trunk, nothing, just like it was in 1968, original factory sealer, behind the chrome molding, nothing, trunk floor original GM no repairs, under the doors, heels of the fenders, front and rear, nothing, rear filler panel between the trunk and back window, nothing. When I bought this I used a lighted borescope and looked in every crevice, crack, and cavity, no repairs. Inner and outer wheelhouse to quarter has no repairs.
It drives the same as in 1968.
   I don't do this for a living, my brother does high end restos on mainly Chevelle type stuff, he couldn't see any issues with the car, none.
I am a hobbyist who due to circumstances, need to lighten my load. I have 15 special interest cars and trucks and 4 are 71 to 72 Eldorado convertibles, that I hope I don't need to sell in the future. I'm a convertible guy. I haven't driven this much in 2 years and I want it to be enjoyed, like I have for 10 years prior.

Cruise control knob doesn't operate smoothly, does work
   One tire starting a ply separation, small amount of noise
   Carter choke works when it wants to, typical even when new
   Trunk cardboard ok needs the fuzzy felt repaired
   Scratch on pass. fender, metal not exposed

Due to an uninsured driver, I am forced to sell some of my collection. The reasons are not financial, as much as health reasons.
        I would be happy to honestly answer any questions… or in need of more pics… etc. My name is Artie and look forward to working with serious buyers. I believe that it’s worth 13,000$.   
  Here is a link to hi resolution pics https://picasaweb.google.com/101685557961676197694/1968CadillacEldorado#

my email is artiebee@hotmail.com

gregm

This is the trim tag for the Plum Eldo:

Does the 61 after the 98 (Plum Firemist) mean it was originally equipped with a vinyl top and, if so, what color?
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Thomas Jefferson

Davidinhartford

Greg,  The roof colors were single digit numbers.    98 is indeed the Firemist Plum code.   449 is the correct number for the diamond pattern maroon cloth.

I'll need to go out and check my dataplate to see how my vinyl top is shown on it. 

Davidinhartford

Greg,

Here is a photo of my body plate.   

Note the 97-66

97 is the number for Rosewood Firemist.     6 is the number for the Sandalwood beige vinyl top.

So can we assume that your plate which reads: 98-61  means 68= Firemist Plum and the 1 indicates a white vinyl top?

The real proof will be a good look at the rear glass molding.    If it has a Tuxedo grain on it then it had a vinyl top originally.

Here is a photo of my molding top left corner.   You can see the grain.   Alas, my new top is an Elk grain.

kkarrer

Just from looking at the tag in the trunk (driver's side, upper) I think I see some over spray which would indicate a repaint at least.  No big deal if it's a quality job, but it might be a bargaining point or at least something to consider.  Areas under the hood, the door jambs, under the dash, and under the rocker flange will usually tell the story if the data/vin tag doesn't.  Looks like a nice car though!  Keep us posted.
Ken Karrer 1941 6227D coupe

Chris Conklin

I'm curious about the double-digit top codes, can somebody out there enlighten me/us? The plum car with a code of 61; 6 is Sandalwood and 1 is white. Which is it? On older tags they would have separate designations for the paint and the top but the top was usually listed twice: hyphenated with the paint code and in the top section. Could this be why it's repeated in the later tags with the paint? Wondering what top is supposed to be on the plum car.

And Greg, as I said when we talked, the plum is still my favorite just as it is (emailed you about the black one here in CA). Replace the rear window molding with a smooth piece of matching molding if you need to and keep it all paint. Very pretty car.
Chris Conklin

gregm

Quote from: David Smith on September 04, 2012, 05:20:16 PM
You are in luck.  I saved the info from his first listing.

Dave, that is amazing...I am going to reach out to Artie...

The rear window appears to have black textured molding...could it have been a black vinyl roof?

I actually like vinyl roofs on these cars but not with that interior. They should have matched interior to roof...white top and interior, tan top and interior...etc...white top...hmmm...need someone to photo shop that before considering it.

Davidinhartford

Greg, 

The number for a black vinyl top is 2.    Which is not on your tag.

My car definately had a Sandalwood top on it from new.   That code is #6 which is on my tag.

Why the number is on there twice is unknown to me.   If that second digit of that double digit is the top color, then White is a real possiblity.   The seller (Artie) did mention that the car was repainted.   Why they didn't paint those moldings Plum is a mystery.

But either way, the car is stunning looking.   It is very well optioned too.   I will be soo envious of whoever buys it.       

gregm

Quote from: David Smith link=topic=121168.msg212808#msg212808 date=1346808947   But either way, the car is stunning looking.   It isi]very[/i] well optioned too.   

Very well optioned?

How do you tell what options the cars were equipped with? I mean didn't these cars all come pretty decked out with power everything? The most important option to me would have been a leather interior.

A white top...still trying to envision that...

Davidinhartford

For 691 photos of 67-70 Eldorados in a variety of colors, click here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1686663@N21/pool/

Here is a list of options:

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
Not all year data plates are the same.
The prefex 6 is on all  1968 cars with a vinyl top. The second # is the top code.
WHY? did Cadillac do that? Who knows?
68 data plates have NO options on them.
WHY? did Cadillac do that? Who knows?
On a true slick top car like mine,there is a dash after the paint code. That's it!
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Davidinhartford

Thanks for solving that mystery Bob!

I got these statistics from Carls blog regarding 1968 Eldorados.

98.8%  had the automatic climate control.  78.9% had the tilt telescope steering wheel.  96.5% had either the 4 way or 6 way power seat.  Vinyl top, 86.6%.  White walls, 99.1%.  Tinted glass, 99.2%.  Cruise control, 29.1%.

So slick tops are pretty rare.   

Glen

Yes the molding on a vinyl top car has the grain pressed into the metal to match the grain of the top.  The molding is painted to match the top.  If you have a car with the vinyl removed it is not hard for a body shop to fill the grain with a light coat if putty or even a filler paint. 

IIRC there was someone selling a set of smooth molding trim on this site not too long ago.
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Davidinhartford

I came across this photo in my archives showing a plum one with a white top.

gregm

OK, so the car definitely had a white vinyl top...

Dave, you are amazing...what else is in your "archives"?

I like the white top...if I got that car I think I would have to put it back on...

Davidinhartford