News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Weather stripping issue

Started by VooDoo, January 23, 2013, 09:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VooDoo

I was trying to put my new weather stripping on yesterday. I put it on one door and tried to shut it and it would latch but ended up sticking out like a 3/8 or so from the body. When we adjusted the doors prior to paint they were fine but now they are sticking way out. I got the rubber from metro rubber but it is the same profile as the one from steele. I have heard of some needing to cut down the rubber to thin it down so doors will shut better. Is there something I'm missing here or doing wrong? Anyone else have this issue? Thanks
Andy Fulenwider
1937 75 Series Convertible
1947 62 Series Custom Project

Caddy Wizard

Some folks have this problem with 49's also.  But I have done the rubber on three 49's with none of this issue.  Here is a drawing that might help of how this is done on a 49.  I am sure you are doing this correctly and apologize in advance if this offends.  But check to make sure the profile is fitting correctly in the body opening and against the door.

I hope this helps.  If not, I hope you sort it out somehow.

Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

VooDoo

so the rubber is a a 45* angle to the door? If so I think that is my problem. mine has a self adhesive strip on the bottom so do I disregard that and glue it up at a 45*?
Andy Fulenwider

Jeff Maltby 4194

Andy. Show us a picture of what the metro seal looks like please.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

VooDoo

The rubber looks just like the picture that Art posted. I checked it out today. I did have it the right way after all. I placed the rubber all the way around and the door wouldn't shut right. It seemed to be getting stuck around the mid-lower section in a spot. I cut out a 3" section and it closed fine. That was on the rear passenger door. I tried it on the front door and had the same problem but had to remove the weather stripping from the section closest to the front window.  I don't know way this is happening. You got any ideas or solutions?
Andy Fulenwider