News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1942 Cadillac

Started by Eddie, August 19, 2014, 10:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie

I am new to the forum. I picked up a 1942 Cadillac today. Don't know a whole lot about it yet. I will get the VIN and start researching tomorrow. The car looks to be 99% complete. The things I see that is missing is the carb but I was able to find and order the correct carb on EBay. Also the pics I see online shows a hood ornament, why must they all be missing the hood ornament! we are going to start in on it tomorrow draining and cleaning the tank and changing fluids to see if the engine is good. his one has a divider glass between the front and rear seat. It also has the foot rests in the back seat and a separate radio in the rear. The thing looks like it is all original upholstery but it is disintegrating. Anyhow I would love to hear any input anyone might have about the car.

Thanks,
Eddie Cunningham

harry s

Eddie, That looks like a 60 Special Formal (6069F) which is really a rare bird. There are a number of 1942 owners on this forum that can offer lots of advice in bring back you great find. Welcome,     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

gary griffin

Hi Eddie,

Harry is almost always correct, but in this case I have a little doubt? I was perusing "Cadillacs of the Forties" by Roy Schneider who is an expert in these cars.  I am a little confused by the rear door in the picture having a vent window and also being formed around the rear fender.  The pictures in the book the 60 Special it looks like the rear door goes straight down and the 'Pontoon" is split to allow the door to open.

Congratulations for purchasing a rare and very desirable Cadillac. After I know the information on the body tag it is easy to get the rest of the information.  The VIN and body tag are different and since the VIN is on the engine it is possible that it has been changed.  Use the information on the body tag for future references as it is more informative. After about early March all cars produced in the USA were "Blackout" models which had no chrome for example because chrome was a critical war material. Your car does not appear to be a blackout model.

Before you proceed with any restoration I have a couple of suggestions. Purchase an "Authenticity manual" from the club and keep your car authentic as possible as you proceed. Secondly get the information off of the body tag on the firewall near where the voltage regulator is on the drivers side. All of that information will tell you so much about your car.  Contact "Allied Vaughn" and purchase a build sheet which will tell you even more about the car including build date or shipping from factory date, destination of shipment, list of  equipment, colors and so forth when shipped. If you order the build sheet provide them with the body tag number and the VIN number also and then you will know if it is the original engines.  Matching numbers is not as important in these cars as it seems to be with the hot rodders as so many have had engine changes including my own car.

I purchased a 1942 also needing much more work than yours but it has been a joy to restore it and keep it authentic.  I have a Blog of my restoration in the restoration Forum if you are interested in my progress.  I believe it is near the top of the second page of the Forum.  Of the 16,511 1942 Cadillacs produced there are currently 52 registered with the club.

I see holes alongside of the grille where there should be fog lights or delete plates. Also the side trim seems to be missing.  Do you have those items?

I would be happy to assist you in any way possible if that would be helpful.   garygriffin@Q.com  or 206 276 0398

Please post more pictures and information.

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

joeceretti

Is the main difference between the 6019S and the 6019F the division window? If so this is not a 60 Special. The window frames give it away. Is it also true that the 75 series didn't have the rear fenders extending into the doors?

It would be really nice to see more photos of it.

Always learning from you guys.

Jeff Hansen

I'm with Harry on this: this is a 1942 Sixty Special model 6069F.  The model 6069 was the same car without the division window.  The rounded corners on the top trailing edge of the front doors and the top leading edge of the rear doors are the giveaway in this photo.  Other models were more squared off at those door corners than this. Good eyes, Harry!

Eddie, welcome to our forum!  I own a 1942 series 75 and if I can be of any help to you please let me know.  My email address is available in my profile by clicking on my user name to the left of this post.

To comment on your missing hood ornament, not only are you missing the ornament, but you are also missing the entire latch assembly from the underside of the hood and the top of the radiator shroud.  The radio in the backseat, if it came from the factory, would have to have been special ordered; quite rare!

We look forward to hearing more about your car!  Please post photos and let us know what you are finding as you go through it.  We are here to help!

Kind regards,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

joeceretti

I totally missed that Harry said 6069 and not 6019. Oops