News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 suspension

Started by jgallegos1, September 10, 2015, 03:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgallegos1

on my 67 sedan deville all the bushings on the suspension are dry rotted/broken/missing !!! It's time for an overhaul

Is Kanter Auto Parts the only place that sells a kit for the suspension I'm trying to re do the whole front end suspension.

What are my other options ? Also if anyone has purchased a suspension kit from Kanter can you let me know if you ran into any issues, the product is great, go with a different kit, stuff like that i would really appreciate it!

J. Gallegos

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

J,
the parts are available.  I have them for a '66 listed  "http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=131376.0". If they are the same as '67 then these would do the trick.
Greg Surfas
210-289-5406
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

35-709

They are available from Rock Auto ---  http://www.rockauto.com/

I would buy from them first for price and selection and quality if not available at your local parts store such as NAPA.  Of course if Greg's parts are compatible that is your best choice!

From Rock Auto's catalog it appears '66 and '67 are the same.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

savemy67

Hello J.,

The bushings on my '67 Sean DeVille are still serviceable, so I won't need to rebuild the front suspension for a while.

Rotted/cracked rubber bushings could be a function of time and environmental conditions, as well as use.  I encourage you to determine if the ball joints, tie-rod ends, idler arm, etc. are worn or is it just the bushings.  It doesn't hurt to replace old parts unless you do not want to spend money unnecessarily.  Kanter makes kits in the hope that one-stop-shopping will appeal to a number of consumers.  Kanter's kits for the '67 come in three flavors ranging from $239 to $419.  Check the contents of the kits before you buy.  For example, the deluxe kit includes upper control arm cross-shafts - a part that seldom needs to be replaced.  Neither the standard kit nor the deluxe kit include an idler arm - a part more likely in need of replacement than an upper control arm cross-shaft.

Another consideration is that when you rebuild your front suspension, you will need to have the front end aligned.  The '67 uses a camber eccentric to adjust camber (see the shop manual).  Do you have a local shop that can align this car?

If you plan to do the press work yourself, you may want to make the job easier buy purchasing or fabricating the appropriate adapters for removal and replacement of the bushings and ball joints.

What is the condition of the bushings at the rear suspension?  How are the shock absorbers?  I think it is great that you want to rebuild your '67's front end.  I am just encouraging you to take into account some things you may not have considered.  Good luck with the project, and be safe.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

bcroe

Rubber bushings will need replacement with age, along with some use.  Steel ball joints, etc,
are mostly a function of mileage, I would not replace them unless they actually need replacement. 
For one thing, the replacement might might not be as good as the original; I have had 2 near
new replacements fail.  good luck, Bruce Roe