News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Another Survivor, getting a make-over rather than a resto.

Started by Jeepers Creepers, April 23, 2017, 10:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepers Creepers

I had thought about that a while back Steve, but just hadn't got around to pursuing it further.

We've just shifted house by 300 klm, so I might investigate any options around here.

In the correct light, the car looks mint.... but stuff me sideways, in the wrong light... not so good.
Kevin and Astrid Campbell
Australia

spolij

Great job Jeepers. What did you do for rust removal?

Jeepers Creepers

What rust?  :D

It was a very clean car, under and on top.
I think its lived a fairly charmed life.
I love the thing.....

It drives extremely well.

Australia

Jeepers Creepers

My AC blower has been making a little noise on and off. I thought, it might have been a bit of leaf litter or a twig in there until the other day.
It sounded like a bearing in the blower motor was going to lunch and doing it quickly.

OK, we're making progress.

I found, if I stood on my head, tied my left arm behind my back, stuck my tongue out until it nearly touched my nose,  I could just get enough room to fit my chubby body in there and get the blower motor out.

Its a "Made in China" unit from Napa that doesn't look too old. The bearings are fine.

Its the actual fan itself. It looks like a mini washing machine tub with a locating boss in the centre. The location boss has come loose from the fan itself. Its a pressed unit, so nothing really to tighten... as such.
I'm going to have a go at securing it again by knurling the two back together until they become tight again.

The fan cage is mated to an alloy boss that slips over the shaft with a tiny nut on top.

I've managed to knurl the original pressed unit to be a pretty tight fit again.

Tested the fan before refitting.... ha ha ha.
I was holding it in my hand and just as I tested it I thought, I wonder if these things have much snort.

Friggin thing nearly took off, missed my face by inches, but there was no way I was dropping it.

Refitted and working quiet as a mouse walking on tissue paper now.

The fan motor itself looks relatively new, certainly only 3 or 4 years old would be my guess.

If it plays up again, i know what to order before tearing everything tearing it all out again.
Not the best job to do on a hot day, but at least my Air Conditioning is working again.

Oh, I also found the main air tube that comes off the blower motor was quite loose too. I slipped some thin rubber strips in the joins and tightened all that up again too.

All in all, pretty happy, all fixed and only a labour cost.... no parts.
When I gassed the air cond unit well over a year ago, some were bleating it wasn't the right gas...etc.
It still runs fine on the gas we used.

Geez, I was on a roll now.

My 6 way power seats, don't go forward or back, never have since I've owned the car. Other directions were ok and the seat is in the perfect spot for me, so no big rush to fix.

Maybe 8 months ago, I grabbed a good second hand power seat gearbox from Jason Edge. The reason being, if I undo everything to fix it and need to get parts, it becomes a second job or a much longer down time. The joys of having a Cadillac on the other side of the planet.

So, I get ready to remove the little 6 way seat gearbox. When I went to lift the seat up to gain access to the bolts, it now doesn't go in any direction.
I had no power going to the seat motor/gearbox thingy.
I popped the switch assembly off the door trim and it appears I have no power going to the seat controller either.

Ran a test light over the fuses.... all good. Everything else on the switch block works fine as well

I seam to recall, our cars can break the wires in the door jambs.
Checked it all out and has a look.

The rubber cover was in great condition, off she came and low and behold, there is a broken red wire.

Yee-haa.... I haven't been this excited since I was a little girl.
I squealed, I jumped around and then got stuck into fixing the broken red wire.

Another white one was a bit Howdy Doody, so did that as well.

Battery lead back on, ignition on and NOTHIN.... still no seat movement.

Shit... shit shit shit. until I remembered, I did disconnect the seat motor harness connector when I was going to pull the motor out anyway, before deciding to wait until I found the lack of power issue.

Harness on, power on and the seat goes up and tilts.

Still doesn't go forwards or back, but that's cool, now I can set about doing the motor.

I also found the vacuum lines were a bit second hand too, so I'll slip into town and get some bits for that.

We'll be back on the black stuff again before the week is out.

Australia

Jeepers Creepers

Ok, power seat time.

With the mounting bolts out, I've tipped the seat back and zip tied a car stand. sitting on a square of cardboard, to it on each side so it doesn't fall on my silly head.

Well... Well.. Well, some rough nut has already had a go at the seat. The back cable drives for the front and rear movement were disconnected, a good reason it wouldn't go forward or backwards.
Then I notice, the main base for the motor drive, gearbox etc is zip tied to the seat base.... rough pricks.

I've taken out the gearbox and the F and R drive shaft is seized in the housing, so that's the next reason it didn't work.
I had a really good seat gearbox drive i'd got off Jason Edge last year, so goes straight in and i'll sort the old one over the coming months.

I have a good selection of "old car nuts and bolts" and found two matching bolts that look factory and remounted the main bracket back to the seat base for a start.

I've dropped off every cable drive one by one and 5 out of 6 are free and easy.
One was slightly tight, but movable.

Lots of WD40 and a cordless drill on a light setting with the cable mounted lengthwise to the floor. Its freeing up nicely. (it did turn already, just a bit tight)
I let it sit overnight until the WD40 had dripped off the bottom.

With everything reconnected, bolted up, buttoned up and locked down.... its the moment of truth.

We now have, a fully operational 6 way power seat.  :)

Based on the fact we can now adjust the seat correctly, my wife will have her first drive of the car tomorrow now.
I'm too sure she's all that keen, but I would like her to have a drive.

Time will tell.....
Australia

Highwayman68

1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Jeepers Creepers

Couple of pics of it during the work.
Its not like it was brain surgery or splitting the atom, but it made me feel pretty good.

Australia

DeVille68

1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Jeepers Creepers

Even though, my clock is correct twice a day, she's coming out Friday to be sent away.

Hopefully, it'll correct all day after some loving.
Australia

Jeepers Creepers

Life gets in the road sometimes, the clock went to the guy this morning...ha ha ha, can't rush these things.

Just a couple of random pics of the engine bay taken a few weeks back.

Australia

CORVAIRWILD

It's been a wee bit over a year, and not a sound from our Cadillac Fleetwood on the other side of the world.

I've always lusted after a 69 Cadillac, to replace memories of the lite brown Sedan DeVille my father had back when it was 2 years old. And I sure wouldn't mind a '57!!! Oh yeah, I just bought one in Wisconsin, and now how to sneak over there so I don't get arrested crossing the state borders with this ridiculous virus.

So what progress is there on our party barge Cadillac Fleetwood? I myself have a 65 Electra 225 Survivor, a 68 Olds 98 Survivor, 65 Grand Prix Survivor, a 78 Eldorado Biarritz last Edition, and 3 409 Chevy clone muscle cars...

CORVAIRWILD

A peak in my garage from a couple of days ago

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: CORVAIRWILD on March 29, 2020, 02:29:33 PM
It's been a wee bit over a year, and not a sound from our Cadillac Fleetwood on the other side of the world.

I've always lusted after a 69 Cadillac, to replace memories of the lite brown Sedan DeVille my father had back when it was 2 years old. And I sure wouldn't mind a '57!!! Oh yeah, I just bought one in Wisconsin, and now how to sneak over there so I don't get arrested crossing the state borders with this ridiculous virus.

So what progress is there on our party barge Cadillac Fleetwood? I myself have a 65 Electra 225 Survivor, a 68 Olds 98 Survivor, 65 Grand Prix Survivor, a 78 Eldorado Biarritz last Edition, and 3 409 Chevy clone muscle cars...

Ha ha ha, the Fleetwood on the other side of the world is going just fine. LOL  :)

It had a major service back in Feb. (by me)
I'd found these markings years ago, but still very clear to read.
I finally decided to take a pic of 'em.
It also had a birthday on the 25th of March too.
While retaining approx. 80% of her original paint, she still shines like a star.
It was out doing a 200 plus KLM round trip to drop off some essentials to my elderly Mum on Good Friday.

Australia

CORVAIRWILD

Good to hear!!! I just yesterday bot a 1991 Chrysler  LeBaron convertible.  I believe it's wearing it's original paint, 84xxx miles, very rare combination of 3.0 V6 5 speed. Needs an AC compressor and a nasty wind whistle addressed from the drivers' window.

I needed a commuter car for 500km trips to visit my seniorita, and what better than a Malaise Era convertible???

And my '57 Cadillac awaits in Wisconsin...

Jeepers Creepers

You can never have too many huh.

Good on ya.  ;)

I started to polish the Fleetwood yesterday, in an effort to keep that paint shining.
Spent an hour on the underside of the trunk lid, the water drip rail areas around the trunk.

I'll polish the engine bay today and hopefully get that finished.  ???

Then its all 4 door jambs..... by then, if my fingers aren't bleeding too much, i'll start on the outside panels.
I reckon, in around 4 days, i could be ready to start on the insides.

Hmmm, maybe I should do the trim before the outside.... would make sense.
Australia