News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1952 coupe de ville rear window hydraulic cylinder excessability

Started by Pancho R, November 27, 2017, 02:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pancho R

Hi there, just bought a 1952 Coupe deVille from US and imported to Australia. When I got it home I noticed that there was oil leaking under the rear passenger driver's side window. Don't have any shop manuals as yet, but want to know how to remove the hydraulic cylinder as it is leaking from the seal. I just don't seam to get to the cylinder. There is no way to get to it from the excess hole from the inside. Has any one traveled this road before and has any suggestions that will be great. The dealer said the lift system was new. :(
1952 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1959 Chevrolet Apache 3200 Fleetside

Jerome506237DX

I'm guessing that a '52 is not much different than a '50. The only way to reach the cylinder is by removing the window and the lifting mechanism. Try to determine if the leaking oil is brake fluid or ATF! If it's brake fluid, it will strip your paint!

I think this is a good read when working on the Hydro Lectric system of your car.

http://www.antiqueolds.org/PDF/hydro-electric.pdf

Good luck!

Jérôme
1950 Coupe de Ville
1956 Oldsmobile Super 88

Pancho R

Hi Jerome, I really appreciate your reply. Had another good look today and sort of came to the same conclusion. Thank you also for the link. And it is brake fluid in the system.

Another question. What is the little slide switch for on the passenger driver's panel next to the window control button.

Jerome506237DX

That would be the interior light switch, at least that's the case on my '50 Coupe...
1950 Coupe de Ville
1956 Oldsmobile Super 88

Pancho R

Hi Jerome, I changed the 2 cylinders that were seased, drained the system and the windows seam to work. The only thing is that the 2 back windows do not close all the way, there is a gap between the front and back windows. Do you have any idea how to adjust them? Happy New Year. Pancho

Bobby B

Quote from: Pancho R on December 26, 2017, 10:52:03 PM
Hi Jerome, I changed the 2 cylinders that were seased, drained the system and the windows seam to work. The only thing is that the 2 back windows do not close all the way, there is a gap between the front and back windows. Do you have any idea how to adjust them? Happy New Year. Pancho

Pancho,
Hi. Did you bleed the system off to remove any trapped air? If you read any of the Hydro-E-Lectric tutorials, it explains exactly how the system operates during opening and closing of the windows. The pump in my '47 does the windows, seats, and convertible top. Good Luck!
                                                      Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Pancho R

Hi Bob, can you please tell me where to read up on the system? I didn't bleed it as I don't know how to do that. Regards, Pancho

35-709

Don't refill that system with brake fluid for reasons stated!  Drain and flush the system and refill with ATF (automatic transmission fluid).  You can also use silicone (DOT 5) brake fluid which won't harm paint but it is much more expensive.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jerome506237DX

Quote from: 35-709 on December 27, 2017, 09:57:18 AM
Don't refill that system with brake fluid for reasons stated!  Drain and flush the system and refill with ATF (automatic transmission fluid).  You can also use silicone (DOT 5) brake fluid which won't harm paint but it is much more expensive.

I'm sorry to concur, but I wouldn't just flush the system and refill it with ATF. Good chance the rubber hoses and seals used in the system can't handle ATF. All is described in the link I provided a few replies ago. I went for safety and replaced the pump, hoses and cilinders.
Also, do NOT use silicon oil, as it does not lubricate enough!

Good luck!

Jérôme
1950 Coupe de Ville
1956 Oldsmobile Super 88

Jerome506237DX

Pancho, please read the article in the link I provided a few replies ago, it should have most answers to your questions. If removing air from the system does not resolve the gap between front and rear window, you might want to try to re-adjust the connection of the lifting mechanism with your window. Try to get the window a little higher when cilinder is at retracted position.
I hope you understand what I mean...

Jérôme
1950 Coupe de Ville
1956 Oldsmobile Super 88

35-709

If you concur it means you agree with me, but that is not what it sounds like.  I absolutely agree that the hoses and seals should be replaced and unless the car has sat unused for many years, I can't imagine this hasn't been done at least once or more.  I will retract my recommendation to  use DOT 5 (too expensive anyway) but find it hard to believe it doesn't "lubricate enough", silicone is mighty slick stuff but I will defer to more experience.

Main point is --- don't put DOT 3 back in the system.  If it is in there, change the lines, etc.,  if it has not been done, and use hydraulic fluid.  If you want the expert and straight scoop on these systems and the old convertible top systems of those days, these folks --- http://www.hydroe.com/  are the go-to people for knowledge, advice and parts.

Jerome506237DX

Quote from: 35-709 on December 27, 2017, 01:33:58 PM
If you concur it means you agree with me, but that is not what it sounds like. 

I already had the feeling I had to double check...  ;) As you might have guessed, English is not my mother language. Apologies!

Quote from: 35-709 on December 27, 2017, 01:33:58 PM
I will retract my recommendation to  use DOT 5 (too expensive anyway) but find it hard to believe it doesn't "lubricate enough", silicone is mighty slick stuff but I will defer to more experience.

On delivery of my new pump, it had a note which stated that I have no warranty if I will use Silicone oil, due to the lack of lubricating characteristics. I thought it was not a good time to be stubborn, those pumps are expensive!

Your main point is also my main point, I believe I can say we concur... ;D

1950 Coupe de Ville
1956 Oldsmobile Super 88

35-709

Pancho R

Hi Guys, thank you all for your advice. The car has not been sitting around a couple of years, but was used now and again. I flushed and bled the system and put ATF in, temporarily replaced the hoses as I still have to find ones that will fit. I also adjusted the rear windows and they both work great now and go all the way up. And thanks again Jerome for the great article. Now I can finally wash her.  :)

Also does any of you know where to buy the 2 rear hoses?

Jerome506237DX

Take your old hoses to a hydraulics shop, they should be able to reproduce them.
1950 Coupe de Ville
1956 Oldsmobile Super 88

Pancho R

Hi Jerome,

I did, but they couldn't match the couplings and as it is nearly New Year, everybody here is off work. They were only open for 1/2 hour so they didn't want to do it. Typically Australian. I'm waiting for a quote from someone else now. I thought if I can just buy them complete is saves me the hassle. Anyway Happy New Year.