News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

identification from those who know 59-60 Eldos.

Started by denniscaddy, January 02, 2018, 10:15:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

denniscaddy

Hello all you 1959-60 Eldo experts:

I have a trumpet horn which I can't identify for certain, so I'm asking for advice. 
It is 10 3/4" long overall, has a bell of 2 1/8", metal trumpet, and no 3-digit number stamped on it.
It has "59-60 Eldo" written on it, from decades ago,  in penmanship which I can identify, and know to be usually reliable.
Is this correct?

Thanks!

Dennis
CLC 3676
1941 Fleetwood 60S
2017 CT6

Quentin Hall

A pic would help but that seems about the right dimensions. Was also used on 57 58 Eldos with a minor variation to the attaching bracket.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

59-in-pieces

Dennis,
Hope this helps, and you have a set of tuning forks or a friend with perfect pitch.
The stamping is the definitive tell.

The Eldorados came with three horns, two seashell shaped horns and one trumpet shaped horn.  The two Eldorado seashell shaped horns differ in tone because they were tuned to be compatible with the sound of the trumpet horn.   The trumpet horn is approximately 13” long and stamped 9940 and blows a “C” note.  The upper left seashell horn is stamped 917 and blows an “F” note. The lower left seashell horn is stamped 918 and blows an “A” note.  All models - other than the Eldorados â€" were provided with the remaining two seashell shaped horns â€" the upper left stamped 363, blows an “E-Flat” note, and the lower left stamped 364, blows a “G” note.  The locations are described as viewed from the front of the car. 

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Quentin Hall

Upon rereading the dimensions and reading Steve’s response, I may have errred . The trumpet diameter for the Eldos is greater than that. I think I recall the one you have and it is later 60s. Once again a pic will be definitive.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz