News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

71-78 Eldorado v. DeVilles

Started by BJM, February 28, 2018, 04:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BJM

Eldorado James

@BJM

(2nd set of pics) Here is a 1975 Orange Eldo convertible rear end....very similar to the 74-76 Deville/Fleetwood rear end than the 1978 Eldorado that you posted.   These were the only years of the full width taillights over the bumper (Buick-ish I say...since Buick had long taillights since 1965).  The 74-76 Eldorado had pot metal bezels surrounding the taillight lens area (The red 1976 was completely different due to the additional red lens insert).  The Devilles/Fleetwoods simply had a stainless steel trim.

The first two pics - The 1971-72 Eldorado rear end (black) is quite different than the 1971-72 DeVille/Fleetwood, as I noted earlier.

E. James
~Eldorado James~

Currently:
1972 Eldorado Convertible
1975 Eldorado Convertible

Past Cadillacs:  Too many to remember.

Scot Minesinger

Even when I was a teenager it was never an issue distinguishing the Eldorados from the RWD Cadillacs of the 1971-1978 era, especially 1977 and 1978.

The Eldorado hood is longer then the RWD Cadillacs.  The Eldorado trunk is shorter than the RWD Cadillacs.  The Eldorado is not as long as the full size Cadillacs (DeVille, Cal., and Fleetwood 1971 thru 1976).  And the Eldorado was longer than the Sevilles (1975-78).  This proportional difference made it easy to tell them apart from quite a distance.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Eldorado James

Agreed....plus the smallish quarter "opera" window (starting with 1971 Eldorado Hardtop) was fixed / completely framed in the body, while the 1971-73 2 door Deville/Calais had working windows that mated to the front door glass.....Then in 1974 the Deville got the behemoth fixed/framed rear side opera windows as well.  This could be one of the most glaring difference visually and should help you to instantly define the model and appx year of any 1971-76 Cadillac coupe from any distance.

Also, The Eldorado was the only 2 door model with the huge colored crest and wreath hood ornament, which immediately set it apart as something different since 1971.

E. James
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

BJM

James
Thanks - big obvious difference is that fixed opera or rear quarter window.  That is something my eye just goes over without stopping - on the CL ads - but it's significant.  Until 1974 as you note, and even then it was still "different". 

I like either styling point. No one can argue with the allure of a wide open car, that a 2 or four door hardtop can provide.   I do like the change in 1974.  It's a ying and yang situation, but I like both pre and post 74 CDV's.

But I really like the opera window treatment on the Eldorado coupes because the stylist, I believe it was Wayne Kady but I may be mistaken, must have wanted to throw a wrinkle in there so it did not look so 3 box.

e.mason

It should be noted, that in this era Cadillac led the parade for new styling. It started with the '71 with the introduction of the opera window and hood ornament.  Opera lights on the Fleetwoods.  Didn't take long for the other manufacturers to scurry to introduce their version of opera windows and lights and hood ornaments.
Eric Mason

EAM 17806

Have any one of you guys or gals ever wondered why Cadillac Division ever extended the front fenders and parking lights (1974-76 Eldorados) which causes a resistance  of frontal movement at about 50MPH; this appears to be like a catch basin to hold the wind/air within that area to cause somewhat of a resistance to free front movement.  If you notice the Devilles do not have this catch basin type frontal area. Just a thought as to why that wasn't thought of by the so-called engineers at that time; I don't think it added any enhanced fashion/style look to the car but,  to each his own.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

e.mason

Never really noticed that.  My best guess is that Cadillac really wasn't that concerned about wind resistance.  They were looking more for form then function.  They wanted to repeat the aggressive looking stance of the late 60's DeVilles.
Eric Mason

TJ Hopland

The front end structure is quite a bit different between 72 and 73.  I wonder if in addition to the impact bumpers its some crumple zone design too.   To me it also looked like some of the changes just made the manufacturing and assembly easier and likely cheaper.   

Not that is a big factor since this is mostly about the look but has anyone ever seen a 75 Eldo with rear disc?   For some reason I too always thought they had them at least as an option but most of the parts lists don't show them till 76 and the 3 cars I have had my hands on all had drums.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Eldorado James

1976 was the first year of rear disc brakes for the Eldorado.....you can retro convert if you want it.   >:D

The 5mph impact bumper changes had a lot to do with the frame changes & bumper bar modifications.  The Eldo gaines a few hefty pounds due to that ...the 1971's were 4800 pounds, and by 1976 they were 5400.

E James
~Eldorado James~

Currently:

EAM 17806

Quote from: e.mason on March 02, 2018, 03:03:12 PM
Never really noticed that.  My best guess is that Cadillac really wasn't that concerned about wind resistance.  They were looking more for form then function.  They wanted to repeat the aggressive looking stance of the late 60's DeVilles.
ERIC:  Then why would they remove the skirts on 75-76s?  That took away from the aggressive/stylish look of the car; the skirts made the sharp stylish look of the Devilles and Eldorados and the removal from the Eldos took away some appeal, of course, that's just my opinion.  EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

e.mason

With all that is being said.  One thing about the styling of Eldos, I really liked.  Starting in 1967, the Eldorado has its own distinctive styling.  Previously, only the '53 Eldos were different then the rest of the line.  I vividly remember when the '67 Eldos hit the streets.  They were so unlike anything else out there, except maybe for the '66 Toronados.
Eric Mason

e.mason

Quote from: EAM 17806 on March 02, 2018, 04:16:10 PM
  ERIC:  Then why would they remove the skirts on 75-76s?  That took away from the aggressive/stylish look of the car; the skirts made the sharp stylish look of the Devilles and Eldorados and the removal from the Eldos took away some appeal, of course, that's just my opinion.  EAM

The 1975 Eldorado struck a very sporty appearance when viewed from the side. The rear fender skirts had disappeared, and for the first time since 1970 the rear wheel openings were wide open, giving the car a leaner, sleeker look. This meant the full-length body side belt molding was now shorter, and ran the length of the car only between the wheel openings.
Eric Mason

EAM 17806

Quote from: e.mason on March 02, 2018, 04:20:15 PM
The 1975 Eldorado struck a very sporty appearance when viewed from the side. The rear fender skirts had disappeared, and for the first time since 1970 the rear wheel openings were wide open, giving the car a leaner, sleeker look. This meant the full-length body side belt molding was now shorter, and ran the length of the car only between the wheel openings.
ERIC:  As I said earlier, "TO EACH HIS OWN".  I believe removing the skirts took away the sleekness and streamline appeal of the Eldos along with the front end catch basin.  EAM
Ev Marabian

e.mason

Quote from: EAM 17806 on March 02, 2018, 05:01:49 PM
ERIC:  As I said earlier, "TO EACH HIS OWN".  I believe removing the skirts took away the sleekness and streamline appeal of the Eldos along with the front end catch basin.  EAM

Yes "to each his own".  I agree.  I simply offered an answer to your question.
Eric Mason

TJ Hopland

75 and 76 C cars still had skirts?  They were dropped for 77?

EAM 17806

Quote from: TJ Hopland on March 02, 2018, 07:18:49 PM
75 and 76 C cars still had skirts?  They were dropped for 77?
What are these C cars you're referring to?  EAM
Ev Marabian

Barry M Wheeler #2189

From 1936, GM produced bodies for the various makes they produced. Chevrolet, low priced Pontiac/Olds were "A" bodied cars. "B" bodied cars were Medium priced Olds/Pontiac, Buick Special/Century, LaSalle and Cadillac 60. "C" bodied cars were Buick Roadmaster (Super in 1940 on) Senior Olds/Pontiac and mainstay Cadillacs. The "C" cars referred to are Cadillac SDV, CDV, and Fleetwood Broughams.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

TJ Hopland

I thought most of the years Fleetwood was D?   

Where you see those letters used the most is body manuals.  They have a table in the beginning saying which model is which platform and their series and VIN numbers and such. 

Eldorado James

C body was the DeVille/Calais, Olds 98 and Buick Electra.  D Body were the Fleetwoods (non-Limo).  E body was the Eldorado / Toronado.

E. James
~Eldorado James~

Currently: