News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Laurie's 1970 Fleetwood Brougham Restoration

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, December 18, 2017, 03:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Tassie Devil(le)

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Cape Cod Fleetwood

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

DaddyDeVille

Love the fabric!  I know there is a huge cost to the custom fabric if it was done today, but that is something that I think is a real loss in that cars today only come with cloth when they are the cheapest of cheap and the style of past is lost.
1 Old car (The Green Devil~le) (Lots of gas)
1 New Truck (Not quite lots of gas, but still a lot of gas)
1 New Car (no gas)
1 Newish Bike (Some gas)
1 Old bike (Some more gas)

https://chuckdidit.wordpress.com/
https://www.instagram.com/mightneedoil/

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: DaddyDeVille on April 24, 2018, 12:04:44 AM
Love the fabric!  I know there is a huge cost to the custom fabric if it was done today, but that is something that I think is a real loss in that cars today only come with cloth when they are the cheapest of cheap and the style of past is lost.

48 years later its still sumptuous. I was having my 'doubts' as to how Medium Turqoise Dumbarton could fade to a 'blue' tint. Did a search for Caddy's for sale with that interior, and was pleased to see a 25K car with the exact same faded look and condition.

Here's pics from today after I shampooed the upholstery and carpets with the Mike Josephic recommended product "Tough Stuff", I was stunned. After a good vacuuming spray on, let sit for a few minutes, wiped with a damp cloth, then wiped again with a dry towel. A little more aggressive on the carpets, using a scrub brush, then damp sponge then dry towel. Simply stunned at how nice it came out. Shined up all the vinyl and leather, nothing more I can do to the inside now.

The first pic is a before/after of the carpet. Before is behind the front passenger, after is behind the driver.
\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

OK folks.. so what are the 2 small female belt locks for?
\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Glen

IIRC the small ones are for the shoulder belts, the large ones are for the lap belt.  Or maybe the other way around.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Glen on April 25, 2018, 02:20:21 AM
IIRC the small ones are for the shoulder belts, the large ones are for the lap belt.  Or maybe the other way around.   

ah HA!

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

The Ark is in the shop with Scott doing the engine work, sweet.
Someone spent a LOT of money on this car, Scott estimates in the last 5 years. Engine was painted 'Cadillac Blue', new seals/gaskets around everything including the oil pan. I wanted to drop the pan but didn't realize how much stuff was in the way. I'm comfortable that was done recently. Scott figures they did the timing chain while they were there. Tranny fluid was 'brand new', so was the filter, but changed anyway. He said there were new parts in the tranny. And there's a drain plug in the bottom of the tranny pan. Devastated to find the car has an electronic ignition, Scott said it was a good one and leave it alone. So much for my EMP proof car!
Both rear brake cylinders were leaking, probably the source of my brake failure, they'll be in tomorrow. And he's changing the master cylinder. Seems to be a part missing to complete installing the condenser, I posted seperately on that. If we're Facebook friends, here's a walk around of the engine today. I'll be driving it tomorrow, that's all I care about!

https://www.facebook.com/laurie.kraynick/videos/1676676525780823/

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

I should be driving it Saturday, LOL!
Scott ran into a few issues that have delayed completion, no big deal.
Now to find front rotors which no longer seem to exist and both rear emergency brake cables.

Remember when I'd open the driver's door and the buzzer and engine temp light would go on right away?
Not any more. I was so excited Scott fixed it. He said he didn't touch it. What was changed was the battery.
Whatever, I'm thrilled. Car looks so cool with the proper battery, new master cylinder, etc. The seats were still
pretty damp from the washing last week. So all the windows are open and he left the heat on the in the garage overnight to help them dry a bit.

so excited!

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Got The Ark back today from Scott, its running GREAT! He really went through it well.
His test drive was on route 6 up to 70mph, taking his hands off the wheel and hitting the brakes, etc. He really
beat on it, fast sharp turns, etc. Its perfect. I still think it idles a bit rough but smooths right out when you hit the gas. He said its fine, leave it alone.

Everyone wanted to keep the goofy gauges except me, take them out. When he took them out he noticed multiple live wires - a fire waiting for a time to happen. And all the 'connections' were taped with duct tape. Nice.
GONE!

And my 12v is gone too, he'll put in another one when we do the EB cables. So great to finally drive the car today. Really busy work day tomorrow but I'll make the time to reach out to In Line Tube for cables and Cadillac Heaven for condenser #3.

First show in 10 days... lots of work to do.

\m/
Laurie

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville