News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

WTB: 38-40 Wiper Transmission(s)

Started by 39LaSalleDriver, September 06, 2018, 01:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

39LaSalleDriver

I just got my wiper transmissions for my 39 LaSalle back from the platers and you guessed it, they kind of messed them up.

Plating came out okay considering what they had to start with, but in spite of my recommendations, they left the wheels and chains up in the tower and basically fused a bit of it together. I asked them to fix it as they were unusable as they were, and a week later gave them back to me "fixed." Whatever they did basically ruined the threads on top as well as the splines to hold the wiper arm. Not to mention the grit which was up in there which turned out to be sand of all things that wouldn't allow them to turn freely. Funny they worked fine and had no sand in them before I took them to be replated...

Anyway, I was lucky and got the shafts pulled out, but they are ruined and I need new ones. I contacted Wiperman and no luck there, though we discussed that these shafts are somewhat universal within the time frame and I could probably salvage them from other transmissions.

So basically, I need to buy a couple of trashed out transmissions that still have decent splined shafts which I can put back into my re-chromed transmission. Thought I would check here to see if anyone might have one or two laying around that I could pick up for a reasonable price so I can pull the shafts and use them. I don't care about the condition of the chrome or anything like that, just so that it is of the type as shown in the photo attached.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

Steve Passmore

The chances are they tried to get the shafts out but couldn't, otherwise you would not have them full of crud and fused together in the chrome process.   NEVER send things to platers without dismantling it yourself. The shafts can be pulled out using a nut and adding washers.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

tripwire

Give this guy a try:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-Cadillac-NOS-Trico-Wiper-Motor-Tower-Rebuilding-Kit/153165534494?hash=item23a960951e:g:wp0AAOSw~Bha7wKN&vxp=mtr

This one is for a 41 but his posting says he has others as well.

And, I'm pretty sure Buick, Pontiac & Oldsmobile of those years use the same towers.

Good luck.
Driving now:
2023 XT4 Luxury
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

39LaSalleDriver

Quote from: Steve Passmore on September 06, 2018, 02:09:18 PM
The chances are they tried to get the shafts out but couldn't, otherwise you would not have them full of crud and fused together in the chrome process.   NEVER send things to platers without dismantling it yourself. The shafts can be pulled out using a nut and adding washers.

Right you are. The only reason I didn't was the owner assured me he was experienced with them and would take care of it so I figured that experienced hands would better than my own ham fisted attempts. Won't be counting on that in the future, which is why in general I don't like sending stuff off to be repaired when I can usually figure it out myself. When I first picked them up and saw what had happened I called their attention to it. He told me to leave them for a few days and he would do exactly what you mentioned but it was too little, too late. So I KNOW he knew how to take them apart before plating...they just didn't.

Rather disappointing as they are a highly recommended plating company in auto circles (I just happen to be lucky enough to have them in my back yard), and now the only game in town around these parts since their competitor burned to the ground last week.

Since the shafts were boogered beyond usability, and I was fortunate to get them out without damaging the tower, I consider myself a bit lucky in that regard. Now if I can just find replacements I should theoretically be good to go.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

39LaSalleDriver

Quote from: tripwire on September 06, 2018, 02:22:29 PM
Give this guy a try:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-Cadillac-NOS-Trico-Wiper-Motor-Tower-Rebuilding-Kit/153165534494?hash=item23a960951e:g:wp0AAOSw~Bha7wKN&vxp=mtr

This one is for a 41 but his posting says he has others as well.

And, I'm pretty sure Buick, Pontiac & Oldsmobile of those years use the same towers.

Good luck.

Say...that might be the ticket. Thanks. Even that kit might work if that knurled/splined knob to hold the wiper arm is screwed onto the threads which should hold the acorn nut and can be removed. From the gist I got from Wiperman, yes those shafts are somewhat universal on all models of that style within a certain timeframe. In other words, they didn't make a special shaft for Pontiacs, Buicks, Cadillacs, etc., etc., etc. The differences would be in the towers themselves and the linkages, not the internals per se. I'll shoot him a message and see what I come up with.
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

DaveZ

If you don't come up with anything I think I may have some.
Dave
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

39LaSalleDriver

Quote from: USNTar on September 06, 2018, 02:40:16 PM
Say...that might be the ticket. Thanks. Even that kit might work if that knurled/splined knob to hold the wiper arm is screwed onto the threads which should hold the acorn nut and can be removed. From the gist I got from Wiperman, yes those shafts are somewhat universal on all models of that style within a certain timeframe. In other words, they didn't make a special shaft for Pontiacs, Buicks, Cadillacs, etc., etc., etc. The differences would be in the towers themselves and the linkages, not the internals per se. I'll shoot him a message and see what I come up with.

Seller claims to not have one for a 39 LaSalle, but it might be he doesn't know which kit works for what cars. I posted in the technical forum to see if anyone has a Trico catalog and can look up the specific parts I would need.

Quote from: DaveZ on September 07, 2018, 07:06:56 AM
If you don't come up with anything I think I may have some.
Dave

Thanks Dave, let me get back to you when I get this all sorted out. You may be my best hope yet!
Jon Isaacson

1939 LaSalle 5019

DaveZ

Ok PM me if you need them and I will go take 'em off the parts car.
Dave
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B