News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1936 Cadillac Fleetwood Imperial Tourer

Started by Traindriver, October 10, 2018, 02:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traindriver

G'day all, I'm from the land down under and recently I purchased the abovementioned car. It's just an old V8 model and not something exotic.  Naturally enough it is in rough shape but apparently the motor runs or was started briefly a few years ago according to the previous owner.  I have been told it was one of six that were imported to Australia.

I'd like to preserve much of it for the next owner and as a result I have no intention of chopping it down. I don't want to restore it though but rather I intend to keep all the bits and pieces plus spares for someone who may want to bring it back to original form. In other words, this old beastie deserves respect.

I do want to upgrade brakes, suspension, motor and trans and rear end plus rust repair and paint to get a highway cruiser. As my son says, it's a full on gangster car and even rough it just looks so cool so I want to see it roll down the highway.

I'd  love to get a bunch of questions, comments,suggestions or even demands that I do the right thing!

nixiebunny

My brother and I recently got running my 1940 LaSalle hearse. It was seized, so needed a motor teardown and reassembly with cylinder honing and not much else. The old motor makes a good bit of power, but cooling is still an issue. The three speed transmission is just fine. Needed new wiring, so we went with a 12V system.

I think it's worth spending a bit of time to make it into a working stock style car, to enjoy that form of it. You can always decide later to replace the drive train with newer things.