News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Removing Wind Wings From '37 Coupe

Started by carlhungness, November 24, 2018, 08:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

I got the side wind wing glass out of my '37 LaSalle Coupe, and since it was bad I didn't preserve it in the process.
    Next I removed the chrome frame and its attendant frame from the door. The frame came out after taking out about 4-5 small screws.
    Now the   chrome wing itself is still attached to the frame. The top "pin" is captured in a permanent fitting that is 3/4" of an inch long. The bottom pin fits into the crank assembly and there is one screw that releases it, which I did. The top pin is riveted to the chrome frame, the bottom pin can slide out, but it appears as though I have to spread the whole plot 3/4" in order to release either pin, and spreading the outer frame that much just seems, well, too much to be reasonable. It sure seems as though I'll bend it if spread that much.
   The rubber that surrounds the chrome frame is now all loose. However, the chrome frame has to be lifted out of the outer frame in order to remove, or reinstall it, as the bottom pin goes through the middle of the rubber.
   So I'm seeking suggestions as how to proceed. The chrome frame itself, as stated, has to be removed in order to reinstall new rubber and I just don't see how to get it away from the outer frame without bending it three-quarters of an inch.

tozerco

Carl,

I think you take the "Ventilator Regulator Mechanism" (perhaps what you are calling the "crank assembly") out with the wing window. It is fixed to the door frame with ?? 4 screws. The top "pin" should then drop down with the wing window.
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

carlhungness

I have all that loose and the regulator assembly is riveted to the outer frame, so it cannot drop down.

harry s

That is the potential for an oh s--t moment but the only way I know is to spread the frame. Once you get it out and are ready to send to the plater be sure and tell them not to allow any "build up" on the pin as it is a pretty tight fit when reinstalling. Easy does it. Good Luck,    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

carlhungness

Well, that's what I was looking for, someone who has done it. As far as I can see you are absolutely correct, the only way to release the wind wing frame is to spread the outer frame 3/4" of an inch to release either the top or bottom pin. And yes, the top pin is a nice tight fit, so it can be masked off during plating. I just do not like the idea of spreading the plot to release the frame but it appears as though I shall have to.