News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Fleetwood barn find project

Started by paulclark, September 06, 2018, 03:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulclark

Super excited to bring home my new project: a '55 Fleetwood with factory air, 100% complete, running when parked (20 years ago).

paulclark

55 is such an amazing model year Cadillac, so full of charisma. Part ballerina, part locomotive, part tank.

paulclark

The interior is typical for the PNW, part wilted, a little mildewed. This will be a vintage driver, not a show car, so I'm going to clean everything up and see what I can do with what's here before looking for replacements for most things.

The floor pans are rusted out, not surprisingly. Nothing new. Any chance of finding a 55 floor pan, or should I plan to fabricate? Is there a repro of any nearby year Cadillac? I'd consider modifying a different year if so.

paulclark

Those wacky plastic tubes are still intact in the corner of the rear window, carrying cold air up to blow through vents in the headliner. I've never seen anything like it.

paulclark

Under the hood. Everything's here, the air cleaner is in the trunk. Were the AC compressor pulley and oil filler cap originally red or is that somebody's decorations? Where can I find reference underhood photos for 55?

paulclark

Peeling paint tells the story. The car was originally Mist Green, and belonged to the previous owner's mother. Mom liked a bit of a fashion change now and then, so it was repainted a couple of times, starting with a metallic yellow green. The final layer of paint looks like very weathered black, or even raw steel, but it's actually a metallic brown.

paulclark

Obligatory loading shot.

Moral of the story: Never plan to do anything else on a day when you load, haul, and unload a Cadillac. That will be enough. Just give those things enough time and call it a day. 

paulclark

Very much to be done here, but for today getting it home was enough. Paint and rust handling is obviously a high priority here, and general cleanup.

I -assume- the engine is stuck. I didn't actually check, I'd be very surprised if it isn't, but I might be surprised. I've seen good advice on these forums on getting engines unstuck, so if that's the case I'll be pursuing that line.

Oh what joy! A new (to me) old Cadillac! What fun! Details to follow.

The Tassie Devil(le)

CONGRATULATIONS.   What a wonderful purchase.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

D.Yaros

Quote from: paulclark on September 06, 2018, 03:35:35 AM
55 is such an amazing model year Cadillac, so full of charisma. Part ballerina, part locomotive, part tank.

Love the characterization and think it is both accurate and appropriate!
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

Bob Kielar

https://youtu.be/o1bnZZ0uZfA   Here is a you tube video I made of my 55 Fleetwood. If the link doesn’t work go to you tube and search for Annie 55 Fleetwood. I have a lot of pictures of Annie if you need some help give me a shout. Have fun.

Keep Cruzin,

Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood

paulclark

Roger Zimmermann

Congratulation. It's just a shame that the RH rocker molding is so bent, as seen on the first picture. With some luck, it can be repaired; stainless steel is a nice material to work with.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

paulclark

Yes agreed, and I'd welcome advice when it comes time to straighten it. I'm assuming that the right mandrels are the key, and possibly annealing.

wrench

It's funny. In the loading pic, she almost looks like she's smiling...

Good luck!
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

paulclark

Aw yeah. I have been getting smiles every time I work on it.

paulclark

Another shot during the cleanup process. many more pics, including underhood stuff to come.

paulclark

More recent pic. Tinted etching primer on for protection against the elements.