News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

66 Deville Project

Started by Mbatten, January 07, 2020, 07:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mbatten

My good buddy just picked this up. I am going to help him finish it, and show him how to turn wrenches.

I have a couple things I need to figure out:

1.  info on how to adjust the door glass, and vent windows.
2.  I'm looking for recommendations on a good electric fan for it. It has the original fan and shore, but it gets up to 230 on occasion.  Normally the temps are between 195 and 210
3.  The trans fluid was a couple quarts low.  I am assuming that you check it when its hot and in drive.

Its a 66 and the motor is a 500 caddy from 75.

M Batten

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Regarding the "fan", if you have a 7 bladed stock HD fan, the 66 fan shroud and a good 4 row copper/brass radiator, you will have all the cooling capacity you will need.
The 500 inch motors are intended to have a 195 degree thermostat and 195=-220 degrees is what they SHOULD run at for peak operating efficiency.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Mbatten

Thanks for the reply.  This one has a good radiator and fan, etc.  But I wanted to add an electric fan in case it get over 220.   In So-Cal traffic, things can get hot quickly.  Ive had to add electric fans to all of my classic cars for summer traffic...
M Batten

35-709

A '66 Cadillac shop manual will cover the window adjustments, easy to find one on eBay.

The transmission should be checked when it is warm/hot in Park, not Drive, with the engine running.

You might even seen 235 with that engine but that is pretty much my personal max and is assuming a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water and the correct, properly functioning, radiator cap.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Mbatten

Thanks!   Radiator cap is new, coolant is 50/50 and also new.  235 was sitting In traffic, and it came down as soon as we started moving. 

I’ll look into a shop manual!  Thanks!
M Batten

bcroe

I would try and establish just what year all the components are.  If
the engine is swapped, the trans may be as well, check the number
on the tag.  Does it have drum brakes, dual circuit, overflow tank? 

Then what maintenance is needed?  Timing chain, trans refresh, tire
age, brake system overhaul?

As for temp, once you see it wondering up, you have lost control.  i
expect it to stay close to the thermostat rating.  Radiators lose cooling
capacity with age and must be rebuilt or perhaps replaced with a better
performer.  My 60s cars pretty much all got upgraded to late 70s
standards.  I have used electric fans to help the AC when stationary
and to speed cool off after shut down, but they are of limited capacity. 

good luck, Bruce Roe

Mbatten

Good idea on figuring out the trans, etc.   It has front disc brakes, and a newer radiator.  The previous owner had it for almost 30 years.  He did a VERY good job when he worked on it.  The air system is dual tank with 4 compressors.  It has dual batteries with the second only powering the air ride, and some accessories.

Right now it needs a fuel fuel tank sender, and it’s leaking power steering fluid.  I think it will need a new power steering pump.  To may need a passenger window motor, the current one seems weak, but the windows need to be adjusted.  The trans shifts late and hard, so the kick down may need to be adjusted.   

I still would like to have an electric fan that comes on at 225 and off at 215. 

Most of the work will be putting it back together.  We have big boxes of all the chrome.   

My buddy wants to put steel wheels, with hub caps and whitewalls on it at some point...
M Batten

Mbatten

I will get more pics when I go work on it next time...
M Batten

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Mbatten on January 07, 2020, 09:14:11 PM
Thanks!   Radiator cap is new, coolant is 50/50 and also new.  235 was sitting In traffic, and it came down as soon as we started moving. 

I’ll look into a shop manual!  Thanks!

You'll need the Body manual for glass adjustments. Available on fleabay.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Mbatten

M Batten

Bill Young

Also be aware that the 472/500 Cadillac Engine uses a special thermostat that is taller and reaches down low and if you do not use the correct thermostat the Engine will run too hot even with the correct temperature , but incorrect type thermostat installed.

35-709

Picture #1 --- the correct thermostat
Picture #2 --- one that will fit but not designed for the 472/500/425
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Mbatten

GREAT info!  Thanks!

Also, I ordered the body book this morning...
M Batten

Lol Hare

Remove the door panel and rear panel and there are adjusters that wind in or out to adjust the angle that the windows move up and down.
Just keep operating them until they're clear up and down

Gene Beaird

Hopefully the window motor is okay.  I'd verify the window is running in it's channels properly, and well-greased.  The motors on these cars are pretty robust.  Our Calais has been parked outside under a carport in Alabama for several years, and it still has the best window motors of anything in our collection. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

fishnjim

Correct that radiators are limited by air side heat transfer and high ambient T makes things worse.   If install a fan on the "push" side(in front of) just make sure it has a good amount of free area, so not to restrict the air flow under normal circumstances, if thermostatic.   A call to any of the after market cooling fan suppliers should get you a fan spec'ed to what you can live with.   With your previous, I suspect you would know but saving time.   Mileage tends to add a bit of strain on the cooling system.   No way to know how it was maintained, if no documents with it.   You can shoot the radiator with a IR gun and look for uneven temps indicating pluggage, etc.   Better to address now than after fan is on it.   Always get the fundamentals correct first, before you add on, otherwise, makes troubleshooting nearly impossible.

PM:
Tune-up so it's running right.   Some indicate that leaness increases heat, but I'd suspect richness adds more fuel.
You might also consider to clean out the cooling system; drain & flush, etc and add new coolant.   Change belts and hoses, if not new.   
Trans, always suspect when fluid is low/discolored, etc, that something is wrong.   That's a pretty good tranny generally.   Probably needs to go to the shop and have them put on the cleaning machine first, before you just add fluid and drive.   Find the issues.   I suspect it's high mileage.   Could just be good old fashion leaks, put a cardboard under where it parks, but they can be addressed too.   Gasket, no problem, but if you pull the trans for seals, might as well go through it, if mileage is up >~75K.   Depends what your friend wants to do with it, but I shoot for dependable.

Mbatten

Thanks again for the replies.

I ended up ordering a 16” SPAL pusher.  That should be enough to keep the temps down...
M Batten

I would say that depends on what part of California you are in, whether you are running the AC, and of course whether the cooling system is clean, full sized and the motor is operating correctly.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

With the trans fluid low wouldnt the fluid be hotter than normal and transfer that heat to the radiator?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille