News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Radiator swap for 58 Eldo to 56 series 62

Started by #1CaddyFan, February 06, 2020, 01:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

#1CaddyFan

Hi All,
Does anyone know if the radiator from a 58 Eldorado will fit a 56 coupe...I am using a 58 drive train and need to know if the 58 radiator will fit the 56 front end due to trans cooler issues being the 58 has the cooler in the radiator unlike the 56 which has it on the transmission.
Thanks. Dan

Roger Zimmermann

Dan, I don't think it will fit. The radiator cradle is different and the dimensions probably too.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

fishnjim

As far as cooling capacity, probably not an issue.   '58 is larger.

Biggest thing to consider is where do the inlet/outlet of the water pump go and will there be alignment issues?   I know '57 and '58 are completely opposite.
I guess one could use the '58 rad support and refit to the '56 with some sheet metal cut/splice, if needed.   Take a few measurements to see if it makes sense.   May be easier than one thinks.
ps: But why butcher two cars?    There's also a bunch of custom radiator makers out there, that will gladly build you one to fit

#1CaddyFan

Thanks FishinJim,
I am in the process of getting a 56 coupe road worthy. I bought it sans engine and tranny and no radiator. My best guess is I need to inspect it and see exactly what I am missing before I buy parts willy-nilly. The car arrives 3/30/20 then I am off to the Carlisle  Show in April.
Thanks Dan