News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Interesting observation

Started by Jon S, March 22, 2020, 10:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon S

I was reading some trivia on a 1959 Cadillac stating that the tailfins for this particular year were the highest in Cadillac history at 42 inches.  For the fun of it I decided to measure the height of my 1958 tailfins and guess what?   They are also 42 inches high.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I wouldn't doubt it. The higher roofline of the '58 makes the fin appear shorter compared to the '59. In the case of the '59 Coupe, I remember reading there was only a 6 or 8" difference between the top of the fin and the top of the roof.

I've also heard somewhere the '60 fin is only an inch lower than the '59. The '60 rear quarter "shelf" was raised so the fin doesn't make up as much difference as it did in '59 making the '60 fin appear much lower than it really was by comparison. 

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

Either way, visually the 1959 Cadillac fins certainly look like the tallest, event though they may be same as other years, or even shorter.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jon S

Eric and Scot - Totally agree!
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

rwchatham CLC 21892

Measured 2 of my original cars that sit perfectly level and the tip of the fins measure 45 inches from the ground so I believe the 42 inches would be incorrect for a 59 .
R. Waligora

59-in-pieces

Regardless of who measures what fin - WHICH WOULD YOU RATHER OWN.
And everyone knows - the 1960 is the younger smaller brother - fin that is.
Just say'n.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Yup -  exactly 46" on my '59 on the proper size 8.20 tires, original springs without air shocks.

Scot Minesinger

Jon,

It seems that the 1958 Cadillac had the most chrome of any Cadillac in terms of surface area and/or number of chrome trim pieces. 

The large rocker moldings of the 1993-96 Fleetwoods were stainless steel, not chrome, although chrome looking.  So for most surface area of chrome looking trim on a Cadillac, maybe in terms of surface area the 1993-1996 Fleetwoods are a contender in this area.

Beautiful day here in VA, going to take my 1970 SDV for a drive.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

I'd agree on '58 being the most chrome/brightmetal parts laden model year for all GM divisions, arguably reaching a crescendo with the 60 Special that year.

The '59 was drastically dechromed and simplified - except at the ends - by comparison.

Jon S

I think Harley Earl topped even the 60 Special with the 1958 Buick’s.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Bill Young

People always tout that the 1961 Cadillac fins are shorter than the 1960. I beg to differ. I own a 1960 Fin red lense and when I hold it next to my 1961 they are identical except at the base the '60 points downward more than the '61. Also the chrome above the lense seems almost spot on in height between the two years.

59-in-pieces

It seems there is a ho-latta struggling to put this car year ahead of that car year - measuring design elements - to perhaps make it special.

To me - it seems the car YOU chose is the special and unique one to you - and after all you bought IT, and that is all it should take to be special - over all others.

As Smeagol would say (Lord of the Rings) "MY PRECIOUS, MY PRECIOUS"

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

dochawk

My precious, my precious.

My other precious, my other precious.

My other other precious, my other other precious . . .

::)
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

fishnjim

'58 has stainless trim and aluminum pieces too, not all "chrome".

59-in-pieces

If you own more than one Cad, they are like having multiple children.
Oh yes, you say - I can't choose a favorite - but we all who have multiples sure can't help but rate them, we just don't say it out loud, the qualities of one over the other - WE LOVE THEM ALL, EQUALLY (our precious) - even when that rating changes for what ever screw-up may have just occurred (leaked oil or didn't eat the veggies maybe wont start or bad grades).
Let's all be honest, they all push your buttons, in one way or another.

OK, cut the hoooy - if you have several Cads, you usually drive one more than another - or for different reasons.
But in your heart of hearts - there is always a favorite PRECIOUS.

Even if you are still lusting after your next PRECIOUS purchase - like me.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Maynard Krebs

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on March 24, 2020, 11:57:01 AM
If you own more than one Cad, they are like having multiple children.
Oh yes, you say - I can't choose a favorite - but we all who have multiples sure can't help but rate them, we just don't say it out loud, the qualities of one over the other - WE LOVE THEM ALL, EQUALLY (our precious) - even when that rating changes for what ever screw-up may have just occurred (leaked oil or didn't eat the veggies maybe wont start or bad grades).
Let's all be honest, they all push your buttons, in one way or another.

OK, cut the hoooy - if you have several Cads, you usually drive one more than another - or for different reasons.
But in your heart of hearts - there is always a favorite PRECIOUS.

Even if you are still lusting after your next PRECIOUS purchase - like me.

Have fun,
Steve B.

..... As long as the resident queen remains happy . . . .

ratpin

It aint the size of the fin, its how it slices the air.