News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1967 Deville Drive Train Vibration

Started by MikeLawson, November 16, 2020, 12:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeLawson

I own a 1967 Deville that has a noticeable vibration between 35-45 mph. The vibration is felt through the driver's seat. The car is an excellent 46,000 mile example that has never been wrecked or abused. I have tried everything I can think of to correct the issue but I've been unsuccessful. Here is some detail of the work I've done so far.

When I bought the car, it had a set of wire wheels on it and I suspected that they were not balanced correctly so I had them rebalanced and it made no difference. I then bought a set of new tires and had them mounted on the original rims which came with the car, again no change.

Next, I tried removing the rear tires and ran the car at the speed range where the vibration occurs and it was present. I suspected that the drive shaft may have been out of balance so I took it to a local truck garage that had a driveshaft balancing machine. The balance was checked and it was good but based on my symptoms the shop recommended rebuilding the driveshaft. All new u-joints and CV components were installed and the shaft rebalanced.

When the drive shaft was reinstalled and test run again, the vibration was still there. I removed the brake drums and ran it again with the same results. When I run it at the speed where the vibration occurs and shift into neutral, the vibration goes away. Engine runs smooth at all speeds. I had previously checked the transmission mount and it is in very good condition.

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions as to what to do next.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mike,
Have you checked the transmission mount?
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

MikeLawson

Yes, I had checked the transmission mount during a previous repair of the O-ring seal on the transmission output shaft. Although the mount is the original, it appeared in very good condition not distorted or seriously cracked.

TJ Hopland

When you got it jacked up and are making this happen what happens if you lightly step on the brake to add some load?   How about reverse?   With the 400's 2.07 reverse ratio it should not be too hard to hit that speed, its kinda between 1st and 2nd.    For that matter will it do it in different gears?    That should help determine where its coming from because engine and parts of trans will be at different speeds vs wheel speed.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

MikeLawson

I tried to follow your suggestion and the results are kind of inconclusive. In reverse, there is no speedometer reading but the vibration still happens about the same based on the engine sound. I was unable to really accurately maintain speed with the brake lightly applied. It seems vibration is most noticeable at about 35mph. I can feel it through both the seat and the steering wheel.

Dave Shepherd

Trans mount may look good, but over time they get hardened  and no longer can isolate harmonics and vibration. You could try loosening  it and see if any change. Any excess movement in the driveshaft  center  suport?

MikeLawson

The car has a single piece drive shaft, no center bearing is used. If I can'r come up with anything else, I may try a new transmission mount. I'm still stinging from spending $475 to rebuild and balance the driveshaft and getting no improvement.

TJ Hopland

How about in different gears?   That should change engine speed and parts of the transmission given the same wheel speed.

Daryl Chesterman

When the car was jacked up (I hope on jack stands!), did you have a helper to operate the accelerator pedal and you observe underneath to see what could be causing the vibration as the RPM was increased up to and through the  noted 35 MPH vibration speed?  Definitely do as T J Hopland said, and see if the vibration is replicated in 1st or 2nd gear.

Daryl Chesterman

dadscad

I know you have a low mileage car and this should not be the problem, but, have you checked the tail shaft housing yoke bushing for excessive play?
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

bctexas

Have a look at the harmonic balancer on the front of the crankshaft.  I had one go bad on a Caprice I used to own.  Took me a while to find it - i couldn't believe that it could shake the whole car the way it did.

Good luck!
Bernie
1965 CDV
1970 SDV

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Stupid chick comments:

Front end - when were the stabilizers, ball joints, upper and lower bushings (if applicable) replaced? Wheel bearings?
Any play in the linkages? Assuming your new tires are correct and quality for the car, I like having speed
shops do the balancing, YMMV. $475 was about right for a quality drive shaft rebuild.

You'll need a HELOC on your house to try all the well meaning ideas here.
OR, find a reputable vintage car restoration shop, have their lead mechanic drive the car and tell you what's wrong.

Occam's Razor is my BFF.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

MikeLawson

Quote from: dadscad on November 16, 2020, 07:24:33 PM
I know you have a low mileage car and this should not be the problem, but, have you checked the tail shaft housing yoke bushing for excessive play?

Thanks for this suggestion. I just did a quick check for the bushing play by pushing and pulling on the driveshaft yoke. There was a very slight amount of perceptible play. Should there be any at all?  I had the tailshaft housing removed last year to replace the O-ring seal on the transmission output shaft. I did not measure the bushing ID because I didn't suspect this problem at the time but visually it looked good. My understanding is that when the bushing becomes excessively worn, it can cause leakage at the yoke seal. The original yoke seal was not leaking and the replacement I installed at the time has been fine. This is a very frustrating issue to resolve for sure!

Big Fins

I might suggest what we do with Class 8 tractors. That driveshaft should be able to be clocked in a 12, 3, 6, & 9 o'clock position. IIRC, it has a machined mating surface to the rear pinion. Try it in a 180o position to its present one and see if that works. It costs nothing but a little time.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

TJ Hopland

I'm waiting to hear the results of the different gear test.   That should tell us if its trans-engine side of things or trans-rear side.   Different gears will mean different engine speed vs ground so if it stays with the ground speed its drive line or if stays with engine then you know its in the engine or trans.

Big Fins

He's also going to need the weight of the car on the rear once it's up in the air. Not jacked up by the frame with the diff hanging there.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

MikeLawson

Quote from: Big Fins on November 18, 2020, 10:36:14 PM
He's also going to need the weight of the car on the rear once it's up in the air. Not jacked up by the frame with the diff hanging there.

All the tests I've done so far have been with the rear axle housing supported on stands at approximately the same height it would be with the wheels installed.

scotth3886

Quote from: dadscad on November 16, 2020, 07:24:33 PM

My vibration issues on my 66 is mostly gone, but not completely.  However, I was never able to find a tailshaft bushing.  I suspect that's still an issue. 

We did the front u-joints and centering kit and the tailshaft seal.  Couldn't even find a another centering kit to do the rear joints.

Any idea of where to find a tailshaft bushing.  O.D. of the yoke is 1.58" IIRC

dadscad

Try FATSCO transmission for the bushing an Rockford Driveline for the ball centering kits. HTH

https://www.fatsco.net
http://www.rockforddriveline.com/catalog
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

scotth3886