News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Garage stored 1975 Coupe Deville

Started by drbrommerich, January 17, 2022, 10:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drbrommerich

My father-in-law installed a different motor and had it completely repainted 33 years ago.  31 years ago, he parked it in this garage, and it was only driven apx 5 miles since, only starting it up apx every 5 years. My father-in-law passed away last month so the family has decided to sell the car. Today we opened the hood, checked the fluids (all ok) and installed a new battery. We poured some gas down the carburetor and when we turned the key, the motor only went around once and STARTED RIGHT UP! and ran like a clock, very quiet and smooth running and NO signs of blue smoke. The interior looked very good but it doe's need a back bumper and tires. Would any body be interested in this car? Thank you,  Dave
David Brommerich,CLC#23661
1930 Cadillac 4-dr Sedan
1930 Cadillac 4-dr Sport Phaeton

chrisntam

Dave looks like he's in Minnesota, is that where the car is?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

drbrommerich

1930 Cadillac 4-dr Sedan

Ednardo Benevides

Bryan J Moran

Dave

A few more details would help.  What is the shown mileage?  500's are long lived so is the mileage high? 

Photos of the rear bumper and surround would help someone decide. Most folks don't want to do any work. 

How soon do you (they) need to move the car.  It's January.  I have actually passed on a couple of cars because of all the snow/salt. 
CLC 35000 in number only

V63

I probably have a nice rear bumper available. Shipped from 85004

71 Fleetwood

You might think about cleaning up the spilled corn and the dead mouse.  ???
1971 Fleetwood Sixty Special Brougham

Big Fins

Quote from: 71 Fleetwood on January 18, 2022, 12:00:07 PM
You might think about cleaning up the spilled corn and the dead mouse.  ???

I almost choked on my dinner laughing so hard!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

drbrommerich

Hey 71 Fleetwood!  I have to say that you are pretty smart and intelligent to notice that. The next time I find a car that has been parked for 31 years and right after I take the cover off, I will wash it and clean it up first, then  will call you for your expertise opinion. Thank you very much!  Dave
1930 Cadillac 4-dr Sedan

71 Fleetwood

You're welcome. 

Assuming that you plan to market the car after you get the free feedback here, you'll take the knowledge to heart.  The tough questions will come later from buyers that want to know real details and you can't shuck and jive them with "I dunno, it was already like that"  Put some effort into it and you'll see a better return for the family - which is what you're doing, right?

chrisntam

Ya know, in Dave's defense, (I'm thinking) he put it here to see if there's any interest, pretty much as it sits.  It's likely they want to move it as is.

Otherwise, he would have cleaned it up, prettied it up and then put it for sale.  I can see past the all the storage related stuff.  No need to beat him up on it.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bryan J Moran

Agreed Chris.  The family just took some quick photos to show general condition.  I sold my 60,000 mile 1976 CdV in nice running condition for $3400.  I would think this non running but nice car is a $1800 car. 
CLC 35000 in number only

Carfreak

Quote from: Bryan J Moran on January 18, 2022, 10:30:02 PM
I would think this non running but nice car is a $1800 car. 

Quote from: drbrommerich on January 17, 2022, 10:22:04 PM
Today we opened the hood, checked the fluids (all ok) and installed a new battery. We poured some gas down the carburetor and when we turned the key, the motor only went around once and STARTED RIGHT UP! and ran like a clock, very quiet and smooth running and NO signs of blue smoke.

Non-running? Are you talking about the car in the original post?
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: chrisntam on January 18, 2022, 08:19:05 PM
Ya know, in Dave's defense, (I'm thinking) he put it her to see if there's any interest, pretty much as it sits.  It's likely they want to move it as is.

To awake interest, a clean vehicle (without dead mouse) will spark more interest than a dirty one. Of course, if Minnesota has about the same weather than right now in Switzerland, washing a car is something I would push away for at least 2 months!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Bryan J Moran

Quote from: Carfreak on January 18, 2022, 11:53:56 PM
Non-running? Are you talking about the car in the original post?

Good point, I missed that.  It will likely need trailered.

And yes, it will be - 10 tonight in Iowa.
CLC 35000 in number only

Big Fins

You can keep that -10 stuff. I was complaining about 35F where I was last night. I hate it below 70F anymore.

Good luck with the sale Dave!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

71 Fleetwood

Oh quit being victims, please.  That poor mouse still needs a burial. 

Bryan J Moran

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on January 19, 2022, 04:42:52 AM
To awake interest, a clean vehicle (without dead mouse) will spark more interest than a dirty one. Of course, if Minnesota has about the same weather than right now in Switzerland, washing a car is something I would push away for at least 2 months!

Roger
That is true about cleaning up a car for a better selling result.  As one who frequents selling markets I can tell you that many next generation sellers "just want the car gone" as is.  This seems to be the case here. 

It's EVEN colder today, so I can't imagine what Minnesota is experiencing.  There is a value in having someone do the "heavy lifting" when selling a car.  You get less money but less headaches as well. 
CLC 35000 in number only

drbrommerich

Good morning from -4 degrees Minnesota this morning. Arrangements have been made to take the car in and get it in good running condition and get it cleaned up. We have not found the mouse yet, but we will keep every one posted. Watch for new pictures in a couple of weeks.  Dave
1930 Cadillac 4-dr Sedan

Roger Zimmermann

Oups Dave, it's really cold!
By the way, the mouse can be seen on the 4th picture; its on the concrete floor.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101