News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Could one order a '70 Fleetwood Brougham without a vinyl top?

Started by chrisntam, March 08, 2018, 10:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

There's a '70 FWB for sale here in Dallas, thinking about going to look at it.  Guy says it never had a vinyl top.  It's missing the engine, it was out being rebuilt and it was stolen.  He's now selling what's left over.

Correct me if I'm wrong, to bring that car to very nice condition would cost more than it would be worth?

Engine cost could be $5000 (rebuilt), trans $750, interior $4000, paint/bodywork $5000 to $10000?  Other odds & ends $2500 to $5000. 

Cost of a nice '70 FWB is in the $10k to $15 range.

Thinking that unless I want a long term project, this car isn't for me...

Your thoughts?  Not a fan of the white interior.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Cadillac-Fleetwood/263537830705?hash=item3d5c142b31:g:wqkAAOSwMPxaoHoK&vxp=mtr
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

Cape Cod Fleetwood

From page B-22A of the 1970 Data Book:
VINYL TOP. A fashionable vinyl top is standard on the
Brougham, providing a two-tone appearance for individual
distinction. It is padded to further isolate sound
from the interior.

Wish that car was closer, would love to poach some parts....
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Mike Baillargeon  #15848 on March 08, 2018, 11:01:23 PM
C. for the money this one looks like a better one to start with.

Mike

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/d/1970-cadillac-fleetwood/6498169535.html

Lucerne Aqua Firemist with the blue dash! Looks like the interior might have been turqouise and they started painting parts blue, then that blue cloth interior. I'd love to see the data plate....
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

D.Smith

Get a photo of the body tag under the hood.   If it had a vinyl top new the color will be indicated on the tag.   Pretty sure if a person said they wanted a Brougham without a top the dealer would show him a Sixty special. 

chrisntam

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on March 08, 2018, 11:14:28 PM
snip...

Wish that car was closer, would love to poach some parts....

That car is about 25 miles from me, I'm really not in a position to get it, have no place to store it...not to mention it won't move on it's own and it weighs a lot.

:(
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

It could have been deleted on special order. I guess that would make it a special Special Brougham.  ;D

Otherwise most buyers would probably have simply went with the base 60 Special is no vinyl roof was preferred.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on March 09, 2018, 10:12:04 AM

It could have been deleted on special order. I guess that would make it a special Special Brougham.  ;D

Otherwise most buyers would probably have simply went with the base 60 Special is no vinyl roof was preferred.

Not really, because Broughams had the individually switched rear reading lamps and the rear seat footrests which the 60 Special did not offer. If someone didn't want those, and any other Brougham only items, then yes a 60 Special would be the car to choose.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike