News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1941 Air Cleaner for Carter Carburetor

Started by J. Russo, March 24, 2024, 03:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

If anyone has a 1941 with a Carter carburetor, could you please take a look at the photo and confirm for me that the neck on the air cleaner is similar to what you have?

It doesn't fit correctly on my Stromberg. I know that for sure.

I just want to make sure I don't have an air cleaner for some other year or model.

Thank you
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Tom Boehm

Hello John, are you concerned with the slots that leave holes? My 1940 Lasalle fits the same way. I think originally there was something in there that created a seal. I found some felt weatherstrip at the hardware store that fit in the cavity in the bottom of the air filter. That covered the holes.

I still have the rest of the package. You can have it if you want.

J. Russo

Quote from: Tom Boehm on March 24, 2024, 06:56:01 PMHello John, are you concerned with the slots that leave holes? My 1940 Lasalle fits the same way. I think originally there was something in there that created a seal. I found some felt weatherstrip at the hardware store that fit in the cavity in the bottom of the air filter. That covered the holes.

I still have the rest of the package. You can have it if you want.

Hi Tom,

On my '41 there is a front bracket at the generator that the oil pan of the air cleaner slides into from the bottom and then the carburetor end clamps to the top of the carb. I had mine installed wrong as it wasn't fastened to the front generator bracket, only to the carb. If I do fasten it to both ends, the oil pan isn't level, not even close. That's because the carburetor attachment is too long on the air cleaner.

I have since found that there are 2 different air cleaners based on the carburetor used. I confirmed this also in the master parts book.

I already purchased the correct air cleaner. I'm just wanting to confirm that the one in the photo is in fact for a Carter carburetor because I will most likely try to sell it and I don't want to false advertise.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

J. Russo

This is what the correct air cleaner for a Stromberg looks like. The carburetor end is shorter and it connects to the carburetor with a short rubber hose and 2 clamps.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Tom Boehm

OK I understand now. The small details are maddening in car restoration sometimes.