News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Don't Underestimate Flathead Oil Line Blockage

Started by Brad Ipsen CLC #737, December 18, 2020, 10:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

I recently got my latest project 40 Flathead engine back from the machine shop.  Every engine I have done has had its share of sludge and gunk but this one had something I have not seen before.  The engine had been professionally rebuilt about 20 years ago.  Test run by the previous owner on a stand and then stored for the last 20 years. It had an invoice of about $6000.  Much work invoiced was not done including valve guides and crankshaft grinding.  After a couple of sessions in the hot tank the oil passage way to the lifters (the one in the block not the pipes) had to be drilled to clear it out.  Also the feed to the distributor tower had to be drilled.  I believe the shop that did this 20 years ago is out of business but I think they did quite a bit of work so there work may still be out there causing trouble.  The shop was located in TN.  Name available on request. With the feed to the lifters plugged it may be surprising that the previous owner didn't suspect something but the picture of the test stand didn't show much of a muffler so the noise level may have been to high to notice lifter noise.   
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Brad,

It is a pity that the engine wasn't immediately put into service, then the builder would have got it back, and had to do the rebuild before he went out of business.

There is not much worse than an engine that has been built, run for a really short time, then stored away.

Actually there is, a car being driven off the showroom floor and stored away, as in all those '76 Eldorado Convertibles.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

fishnjim

Almost impossible to tell what went on here, without some forensic analysis but the samples are gone.   Look at the good news/bright side, caught the pluggages before they became lethal.   Hopefully, you got it for a song and dance, didn't pay too much.
These early motors weren't always taken care of, sat around, and partial filtration, if at all, so pluggages are expected not uncommon.   Rebuilders are only as good as the people employed.   Assume the washer/block boiler took care of the block and that's what you get. 
I bought a spare so-called rebuilt motor from the shop for, owner didn't pay, sat for 10 years, and had dissassembled before install, the one cylinder needed sleeved, the heads were cracked, and was mostly scrap metal.   Had to rebuild the original instead.   But was able to scavenge a bunch of new parts to pay for it.    Perhaps there was some issue from the test run, argument ensued and why it sat so long?   After spending all the cash, and not getting a running motor is far to common.   Pays your money and takes your chances.