News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1960 Biarritz Will Be Back On Ebay Due To Non-Paying Bidder

Started by 76eldo, November 07, 2008, 01:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

I recently had my 1960 Eldorado Biarritz on Ebay, and for the first time in 8 years of being involved with buying and selling items on Ebay (more buying than selling), I have had a really terrible experience.

First of all, here is the expired listing that indicates the car was sold:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250315286051

Here is the new ebay listing:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250323041784

The car "Sold" for $69,999.00 which was the reserve.  That is my price for the car, in case anyone is interested.

So the "buyer" wins the bidding, and immediately sends me the requested $1000.00 deposit.  During the week, I noticed 2 things about this bidder.

1.  He was from Brazil
2.  Although new to Ebay, he already purchased about 10 cars since 8/08, and had all positive feedback with actual positive comments.  More on that in a second...

Not only has he not returned my emails or 3 phone messages, he, for some inexplicable reason, posted negative feedback, stating that he wants to pay for the car, but i do not return his emails.

Let me see...He owes me $69,000.00, and I won't answer his emails?  Does that make sense to anybody?

Not only won't Ebay remove this negative feedback, I cannot even dispute his remarks until more time has gone by.

A few months ago, Ebay removed the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback after being burned by a buyer, so if you look at this guys feedback from THIS WEEK, he has failed to complete purchases on at least 2 other cars.

So now, I have to put the car back on ebay, and have a negative in my recent feedback, which really sucks.

Anyway, if any CLC members want to buy a fantastic, all original 1960 Eldorado Biarritz convertible with an honest 60,000 miles on it that runs like a rocket, here is a great opportunity.

I will be listing it again on Sunday night, which allows for the 7 days to pass in which this person was supposed to pay for the car.
I will have a disclaimer on the new listing explaining why it's being re-listed, and explain that the car was not paid for, looked at, or picked up by the previous "winner" of the auction.

Here are a few more photos:

If anyone wants info, I can be reached at:  rachlin@comcast.net

Thank you,

Brian

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Brian, why don't you KEEP the car! You'll never find another one like that. Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

76eldo

Bob,

I know...

But my kids won't drop out of college like I asked them to    >:D.

If it doesn't sell, I will work something out.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

GoManGo1946

1946 Cadillac 60 Special Fleetwood

Adam & Kirstin Bieszart
Wheaton Illinois

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Beautiful car.

I mostly sell on eBay and most of my negatives were left by non paying bidders.

On this guys feedback click on "Feedback left for others" Out of 23 feedback's left 11 are negatives to sellers.

I don't like eBay's new feedback rule, sellers really have no recourse for bidders like this to leave true feedback, just file a non paying bidder alert or how ever they word it now.
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

76eldo

There are a few days left in the "Buyer needs to pay for the car within 7 days" condition on my auction.  Being the guy is from Brazil, I would have let that go a little longer, or accepted a 2nd deposit to hold the car.  I am really easy to get along with, and was quite shocked to get beat up like that by a (so far) non paying bidder.

As far as the deposit, I have had NO contact from this person after Sunday night, so I will make a decision on the deposit when and if I ever hear from him.

At this point the only way I would accept payment from him or any other non US buyer would be a wire transfer.  That's fool proof, and really the best way to handle a large transaction.  To me, more than fits in your pocket is a large transaction.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Brian, I don't want to question your decisions, but why not sell some of your lessor cars & keep the 60. That does 2 things, more room &  you get to keep the more desireable cars.  Maybe that bad sale was for a reason. Just my 2 cents. Bob

76eldo

Bob,

That's good advice, and I have been thinking the same thing.  I can't part with my 76 Eldorado.  It's my all time favorite car, runs like showroom new, and just makes me smile whenever I am near it.  But the other cars.......You and others have raised the same question, and I need to consider this.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Brian, remember, it's quality NOT quantity.  Keep the 76 & the 60. Unload the other "iron" Bob

David #19063

Sorry to hear about the jerk.

I had a similar think happen to me on ebay with my sweet '55 Chevy, but he was from Atlanta.

The winner never responded to my e-mails or calls and then gave me negative feedback saying I did not respond to him.

Ebay wouldn't remove the negative feedback saying it did not violate any of their rules.

Ebay can really bite.
David #19063
1996 DeVille Concours

Otto Skorzeny

Was the $1000 deposit a wire transfer? If so, I'd keep it.

If it's a cashier's check, it's likely a forgery.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

76eldo

It was a paypal payment, and I fully intend to keep it.

Getting jerked around is bad enough, but getting negative feedback based on a lie is infuriating.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

I personally would be waiting a bit longer to let the buyer come through with the completion of the transaction before re-listing it.

Paying a deposit means something like "I want it", and being so far away does have its' drawbacks.

I know from experience as I have purchased many items, even cars on ebay, and sometimes the transactions have been teetering on the wrong side, just because the seller didn't understand the problems that are encountered with international transactions.

Plus, I was speaking English as well.   But, some people even have trouble understanding my form of English.   They say it is my accent, but I don't have an accent.   I can understand myself all the time.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Nearly lost out on a '59 Thunderbird because of a stupid misunderstanding.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

If I heard nothing at all, I would agree with you.  But, he knew how to get in touch with me to Paypal the deposit, and I have emailed him repeatedly since Sunday night, when the auction closed, and the deposit was sent.

If I heard nothing else, that would be one thing, but he left negative feedback stating that he wants to pay for the car, but I do not answer his emails.  Another post said in his "feedback left for others" folder, almost every person he has dealt with, he banged them with a negative comment.

I am selling the car due to some financial concerns, but it's not a fire sale, I don't need the money this week or next, and you know what, I don't think that I want to sell the car him at all at this point.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

wrefakis

hey bruce,I know how you feel,last year right here on our forum,i purchased a 60 biarritz from a member,and 2 hours later he sold me out!!! To another member that I know!!!! Bad guy,right!! At least you picked up a G for getting stroked,I got zippo!!! But,the guy in chicago did not do all that well with your old rusty 60.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Brian, I wouldn't count on that money. He's probably trying to get it reversed as we speak. Get all but $20 out of your acct. right now. Bob

Stewart Homan

Wow! Just checked out the ebay listing.

That is a super nice piece Brian - I'd keep it just exactly the way it is if you can!

All the best,

Stewart

Matt CLC#18621

Not only won't Ebay remove this negative feedback, I cannot even dispute his remarks until more time has gone by.

A few months ago, Ebay removed the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback after being burned by a buyer, so if you look at this guys feedback from THIS WEEK, he has failed to complete purchases on at least 2 other cars.

So now, I have to put the car back on ebay, and have a negative in my recent feedback, which really sucks.

Did the guy ever contact you?

eBay Feedback Withdrawal and Removal

eBay may remove Feedback ratings and/or comments that meet the guidelines outlined below.

Feedback (ratings and comments) may be removed in the following instances:

There is a violation of the Feedback Abuse policy.

A member is unable to form a legally binding contract at the time the item ended or Feedback was left. 

A member provided eBay with an email address that is invalid and could not be contacted at the time of the transaction.

A member mistakenly leaves negative or neutral Feedback intended for another member, informs eBay of the error and has already placed the same Feedback for the correct member.

If a member is suspended by eBay, negative & neutral Feedback left by that member is removed.  If a member is suspended within 90 days of registration, all Feedback is removed.

eBay is provided with a valid court order requesting Feedback Removal

A buyer fails to respond to the Unpaid Item process.

When the communication and comments left by the buyer within the Unpaid Item Dispute Console undermine the integrity of both the Unpaid Item process and the eBay Feedback system

Independent Feedback Review on eBay Motors

Independent Feedback Review is only available on eBay Motors and allows members to submit a Feedback comment for review by an independent reviewer. The review services are provided by professional dispute resolution organizations with extensive expertise in resolving automotive and other disputes. These organizations are unaffiliated with eBay.

When a member requests a Feedback review, the Feedback comment left for the member filing the complaint will be reviewed by an independent reviewer for a fee. Depending on the decision by the reviewer the Feedback rating may be withdrawn. Withdrawn Feedback is not counted in Feedback scores or ratings, but the Feedback comment remains with an administrative notation from eBay.

Find additional information on the guidelines for Independent Feedback Review.

76eldo

Turns out that a deposit is not the same thing as a purchase as far as PayPal is concerned, and is not covered by any type of reversal of the transaction.
I explained that the $1000.00 payment was only a deposit, not a complete payment for an item, and the PayPal representative said they would reverse the chargeback, and restore the money to my PayPal account.

Ebay also agreed that the "buyer" did not fulfill his obligations, and credited back the final value fee of $125.00.  Seems that they reduced the listings, but raised the final values.

The feedback is under review to have it removed, and the fact that he leaves negatives for more than half of the people he deals with is suspicious activity in their opinion, and they are investigating his account for possible termination.

Of course, he could just open a new account under a new name, using a different email and credit card.

I spent about 10 hours between PayPal and Ebay, and also answering messages from the "buyer".  I am not interested in keeping the deposit if the car sells, but I think this no-sale and re-listing and recent negative feedback does not help in attracting a buyer.

The people at PayPal and Ebay were very professional and cooperative, and seemed genuinely interested in helping me out.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Hi Brian, I'm confused. You mentioned a chargeback. Isn't that what I predicted? I thought you had drained the account? Again, I wouldn't give him a dime! He has no respect for you or apparently anyone he's dealing with. Get paid for your 10 hours of hell. Teach him a lesson.  Bob