News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 331 cu. in. air cleaner/filter

Started by 49 Caddy, April 06, 2024, 01:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49 Caddy

I read before about how someone took the insides out of a stock air filter housing and was able to use a paper filter instead of using the oil bath.  Can someone expound, please?

Jay Friedman

Some years ago I bought a '49 air cleaner that the seller had converted to use a paper filter.  It worked as far as filtering went, but it was modified in such a way that when taking it apart to change the paper element all the parts became detached from one another.  This made it complicated if not difficult to deal with. After a year or so it annoyed me to the point that I went back to the original oil bath air cleaner.
It works fine; just have to be careful when changing oil to not spill any on the work bench. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."