News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1978 Seville Fuel Pump Replacement (Still, ugh)

Started by Gary Christensen CLC # 21112, April 22, 2024, 04:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

Hi folks,

I finally got the tank out from under my Seville, in order to replace the in tank fuel pump.  This project never ends.

I have pulled the sending unit.  I now have two problems.  The first is that the pins on the new fuel pump are a little wider than the pins on my old one meaning that the connector won't go on (picture attached).  I bought a Quantum pump that is supposed to fit my car, and the new pump looks essentially like the old one.

The only thing I can think of is to widen the holes a little on the original connector.  What would you do?

Also, the new pump came with a rubber sleeve to "suspend" the unit; the old one had an integrated ridge to accomplish the same thing.  On the original, there was a rubber ring that also held a tube in position (which I believe was for the excess fuel return line from before the car was switched to a carb).  The new rubber sleeve doesn't have this bit.  Can I (should I) use a wire tie to keep that line in place?  I stupidly messed up the rubber ring so I'm stuck either way.  I've attached a picture of this bit too.

What do you think?

Gary