News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Valve Guide replacement

Started by Bruce L. Wiley, April 12, 2005, 01:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce L. Wiley

Has anyone had any experience changing your own valve guides? What would be the best way to approach this? The service manual shows a guy with a punch and a hammer. Any thoughts?
56SDV

Mike #19861

In the old days before the valve giudes were cast as part of the heads, they could be replaced, and often were as part of a rebuild.

They were pressed into the head, and could be removed by driving them out with a special punch. Installation was in reverse.

Often, the guide had to be fitted to the valve. If the valve was in good shape still, then you had to reem out the guide for a proper valve fit. Too tight and it would stick, too loose and it would leak oil. A new valve had to be similarly fitted.

This was part of the old world mechanicing that you just dont see today. Most shops were equipped for this sort of work, and the tools were not as sophisticated or as costly as they are today.

These days, unless you are comfortable and experienced in this sort of work, I would have this work done by an experienced machine shop. The cost is well worth the peace of mind that it is done properly.

Mike

denise 20352

Another option is to have them knurled, probably cheaper than replacement, but you would have to discuss that with a machine shop.  Its not something you would want to do yourself.

-denise

Bruce L. Wiley

Thank you for your replies. Knurling is not an option. These guides are O V A L. I drove the old ones out last night without any problems. The new ones will be in this week. Six total according to the books tolerance checks. I am going to see the best way to install them with the tools I have available. I am trying to do this myself following the service manual. I have been able to avoid the use of outside shops up to this point. This rebuild has turned into an experiment in self-reliance and so far things are going well. Any personal experience tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all again. I will keep you posted

Harry Scott (4195)

You can get a tool for your air hammer that is fitted to the size of the valve guide. I borrowed one from the machine shop and used it on a flathead. Worked great for removal and installation.

John Washburn CLC #1067

Bruce,

When you receive the new valve guides, without the wife permission, stick them in the freezer for a few days. Then keep  them cold and install one at a time, they go in much easier.

Lubrication is also good.

That, as they say is my experience, and it worked.

1956 Cadillac CoupeDeVille

John Washburn
CLC #1067

Bruce L. Wiley

Thanks John, excellent idea. I will try that.