News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Jay Lenos 57 Coupe

Started by Clewisiii, Yesterday at 01:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clewisiii

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Big Fins

I'd love to be in his Will!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue Fire Mist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Lexi

Very nice video, good quality and an interesting story. Just wondered what that odd sound was upon accelerating. Exhaust? A vibration? Initially thought it was a harmonic sound from one of the wheel discs, but probably exhaust? Thanks for posting. Clay/Lexi

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Enjoyed the video. He seemed surprised at how well the car performed. Maybe it'll inspire Leno to add more Cadillacs of the '50s & '60s to his collection of which he had none before the '57.

I especially enjoyed his anecdotes from the past and how riding in a Cadillac brought embarrassment to his mother. I only met two people who told me the same thing- one was a lady whose father had a brown '73 Sedan deVille bought new; the other a "relative" of sorts whose mother had a 1980 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe in triple Bordeaux Red. I thought they both needed psychiatric care. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Clewisiii

I knew an older woman who said her father believed that all of his daughters should be driving Cadillacs.

He also believed that no preacher should ever drive a Cadillac.

She married a preacher and he did not know what to believe.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

TJ Hopland

Interesting what he modified and what he didn't.  I like the bit about the 400 transmission to get better mileage, I'm sure that mod is paying for itself.  I wonder if its a 700/60 or a 4L80e?   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Would you guys believe I once had my 1957 convertible on the 500 track? (And Hoosiers NEVER bother to say which track, for as far as we're concerned, there is only "one.")

The circumstances were as follows. Our local car club had the honor of supplying pace cars for the Hoosier Sell and Swap which was always held on the infield of the track.
Tony Hulman always allowed car clubs who held meets on the infield the privilege of a couple of laps around the track. He had two rules. Have the field as clean as it was before you came, and get a million dollar liability policy for the meet.

Three of the cars were 1960s Lincoln four door convertibles and my '57 Cadillac. We had large plywood signs affixed to our trunks that said, Pace Car, Do Not Pass, Speed Limit 35 MPH. We would get a large group of entrants lined up and lead them around about 1 3/4 laps and they got off on a gate in the back stretch. And then the pace car would run around turns three and four and pick up another bunch if needed.

We did this for about two or three years, so I have possibly more miles on the track than some rookies. The fastest I ever got up to was about 80 MPH on the back stretch when I was by myself. So, when we had our "Multi-Region" meets and the 1980 GN at the Speedway, I was busy with something else at the 1980 show, and so let my daughter drive the convertible around the track.

During WWII, my Dad arranged for our family to ride around the closed track in our 1937 Dodge. An employee drove the car, but that was still quite a thrill. I would have been six or seven years old at the time. We lived on McCray Street just off Georgetown Road which paralled the track.

That was one car I wish I still had.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville